Flintfan,

Nice to hear from one that knows, really knows the new technology.

Lately there is a lot of "information" regarding additive pocesses like 3D printing in metal. What I cannot get from these reports is how heat treatable would be, for example, a forend iron made by laser metal sintering. Seeing one single automatic pistol made this way does not answer the question.

If the additive process can yield equal quality parts, then we are in for a new phase. But it is a big if so far and often one gets the feeling that the reports are deliberately overenthusiastic.

As to the cost of CNC parts. It often is worth it simply because the alternative is more costly. At the B.Rizzini factory they were making triggers from the solid with CNC. I asked Moira Rizzini why not use investment casting, and the answer was that casting needs a 5000 piece minimum order, whereas CNC is cost effective for far smaller batches. At the level of totally bespoke items, the cost of the machining, amortization etc is probably weighed against the cost of bringing on apprentices etc. I am guessing that it probably is about equal.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 12/18/13 07:47 AM.