September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, shrapnel, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 376 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,923
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker Trojan 20ga.

Muzzle is to the left. Missing section starts about 5 inches from the muzzle.
It came to me this way, I have no idea what caused it.

Wall looks thin, I never bothered to measure it. It's not like it makes a difference at this point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting to see two examples above where the rupture is at or near the rib to barrel solder joint. And it is always a shock to see the corrosion accumulated in the dead space between the ribs.

Which reinforces my dislike for ribs, yet again. Ribs are an abomination.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Scary how thin even a normal barrel is that is considered "safe". I am amazed how casual many shooters I am familiar with treat the ammunition they put into them. And some of the reloads are plumb scary! But somehow the guns usually stay in one piece. One feller here did experience catastrophic failure of his Verona O/U using reloads and I think his data was good. The gun blew right at the junction of the monoblock and resulted in horrible nerve and muscle damage to his left arm. He will never fully recover use of it. I examined the barrel and was amazed how thin the metal was at the junction of the monoblock and the sharp edges that it had. Seems to me this type of construction just invites failure though millions have been made with no problem. Oh, Verona never said anything or offered new barrels. Stony silence.

Reloads, you probably won't get much satisfaction from the gun maker. Factory shells, it's legal action time if they don't do something and if there was some material flaw with the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wannagohunting
What is the problem with compression formed hulls?
Thanks

Nothing, when used properly. I would rather reload them than most others. But, when you're trying to build a low pressure load it is just easier to begin with another type, like the ribbed hulls with a fiber base wad, or even paper hulls. Given all the same other components, a compression formed hull will almost always deliver higher pressures.

Knowing his penchant for them, I suggested otherwise but, alas and alack, he did not listen. He may have had a hot enough load to blow up the Boswell even if they had not been in AAs, we'll never know, but they certainly did not help the pressure situation any.

I'm NOT saying you can't build a great low pressure load with compression formed hulls. I sent some to Tom Armbrust this spring loaded in Gold STSs that went 1180 fps at 5100 psi.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, what was the shot charge in those very low pressure loads?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can think of just five:

A 12 bore AyA magnum in which someone fired a steel load through the choke barrel; it now has a nice wide trumpet choke!

A single barrel 12 bore Italian made gun that a Farmer kept in the cow shed window for the odd pot shot at vermin. He kept a rag stuffed down the muzzle to stop dirt and spiders going down. Some kid found it and the cartridges and fired it but omitted to remove the rag. The last 12 inches of barrel parted company and spun round and clocked the kid on the head. Gave him a good scare and the Farmer one too!

An Italian over/under (I can't recall the make) where the barrel just blew open about 14 inches from the breech. The metal was so thin it could be bent easily by hand. How it passed Proof in Italy is a mystery.

A Midland Gun Co. side by side that I sent for Proof in Birmingham and then sold on. The new owner had it for a while when the barrel bulged and split. I sent it off to the Proof House for a detailed investigation and report. Their conclusion was that a stuck wad had caused the barrel to bulge and the next shot had been too much and caused the final split. It went just in front of the forend and no injury caused. In fact the firer was unaware until someone at te clay shoot pointed it out.

The fifth involves a German military Mauser rifle. The owner had some war surplus ammo which was dirty. He decided to put it in a case tumbler to clean it up. The rifle was smashed to pieces, stock smashed, bolt blown out and the receiver bent beyond repair. By a miracle there was no injury sustained. My theory is that the case tumbled ammo had the powder inside broken up into a fine powder which increased the burn rate alarmingly. That rifle was one hell of a mess. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,

Sorry to be so long in replying. Been out all day.

They are 1 oz. loads. P.M. me if you'd like more details.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Stan. Just wondering about the shot charge. Not much difficulty getting low pressure 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads. A little tougher when you go to 1 1/8 oz.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd hope everyone pays attention to what Lagopus has posted about that rifle failure.

I'll relate a similar tale that involved an individual shooting a factory 12 ga. 32 gram shot shell that had been rolling back & forth on the dashboard of a pickup truck for quite a while, a few years in the Texas heat & cold. It was fired at a rattlesnake in a modern pump shotgun w/double action bars & it blew the receiver and the back [chamber] portion of that gun up. It was a catastrophic failure & resulted in destruction of the first order. It did not result in an injury, but could have just as easily, IMHO. It is quite likely that the powder in that cartridge had become 'dust' and as such had zero deterrent and an exponetially increased surface area. In other words, the powder detonated rather than burned. FWIW, The dif in defs between burning and detonation in the simplest of terms is the speed or burning rate, if you will.

I've not ever witnessed a blown barrel per se, but I have two double guns with minor swells or bulges toward the muzzle that were likely the result of some sort of obstruction. In both cases it happened when I'd loaned the guns to others. My bad. Neither of them ruptured, nor did they cause the ribs to become loose. Neither swell is noticable when shooting the guns, but both are when looking inside the barrels or along the affected barrel's outside. Both are before the chokes and neither changed the POI or patterns. I have shot hundreds, if not thousands of rounds through them both since over the years w/zero issues & am not concerned about doing so in the least. Greener addressed that issue w/his thin muzzle [.010" barrel thickness] emperical work long before there was an effective measuring devise. Pressures at the muzzle are simply not great enough to distort thin walls. Bonking them and causing a distortion or dent is another matter altogether.

With apologies for the tangent, but perhaps its within the limits of acceptable thread drift.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how I got in this mode. I had the top barrel on a Remington 32 blowup. I think there was a powder detonation. I was shooting the low house on Station 3 at skeet. The shell had been recently reloaded. I think there was a short drop of powder and then the loader did not full seat the wad, leaving an air space. The excess air provided oxygen for a detonation. Thee was not an excessive recoil, in fact, I remember no recoil. I still have the barrels and the shell casing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.