Gunwolf,

I'm leaning in the same direction as you with regard to the "Kaisergriff" on this gun: "The emperor shot it for physical reasons but I think there were soon some people who found it "chic" to have a gun or rifle with the Emperors grip".

Also, the gun must have been made for a larger man or just someone with long arms as the LOP is 14 7/8" (37.78 centimeters). The weight of the gun turned out to be closer to 8 1/2 lbs. I am 6' even and 180 lbs. but the LOP is a little long for me. My .280 Ross clamshell double rifle has a 14 7/8" LOP as well which is something to be thinking about when trying to make a snap shot while wearing heavy clothing. Getting on a fast moving boar with little notice could be a bit of a challenge in early March.

Note on the .280 clamshell double rifle: Axel E. suspects the gun to be a Bernhard Merkel as well. I'd sure like to confirm that someday.

We'll see where the shot tube of the Bemesu DR drilling groups with the rifle barrels. If the group is too large I have other gun options to use a new Brenneke slug on a boar but as I want to do both I'll have to see about shooting two boar. It's an option that suits me just fine as I had a dismal deer hunt earlier in December. I like the taste of the boar that I've been shooting so having a second boar in the freezer and having time in the field with a couple early German combination guns is surely a good thing.

Regards,

Mark