Originally Posted By: Small Bore
And quality is key.Make all these clever bits out of soft steel and without precision and they are rubbish - ever try taking disc set strikers out of an old AYA?

Quite honestly, no, never an AYA. As I recall, the AYA models I've seen over the years use a two pin tool, I suppose that could be problematic.
This is a Falcon, an early 1970s Ugartechaya product for the US market. I consider this gun my "traveler", as it is chambered and proofed for three inch ammunition, so I can shoot anything I can find in it, has a well fitted hidden third fastener, which I was told never to call a "Purdey nose", so, I won't, and has a better, three pin system on the discs. The third fastener isn't supplied on these guns today. The tool was made here in the states by Cole Haugh, and is "stocked" in better walnut than the gun, with very good precision on the bits. He also supplied his strikers, and last time the gun was serviced, re-hardened and polished all the internal bits-he said it just saves much possible trouble down the road. It was bent at the same time for a lefthanded individual (me) and fitted with a sporting clays type recoil pad, something I wouldn't do with a very expensive gun. It has been reliable, to date.
In addition to being considered my go-to gun for longer trips, I also consider it my gun for hunting with people who insist on running Labrador retrievers. This breed seems to have a penchant for knocking guns down, peeing upon them, or stepping on the wrist while the gun is cased in the truck. The singular good thing about a Labrador is if one ended up lost in the wilderness, you could use the Lab as a pantry on the paw, if you got very hungry.
I would accept damage to, or complete loss of this gun far more easily than a few others in my accumulation. The tool box, pictured, usually tags along, but, has never been needed. I'd be more upset if I lost that, than the gun.

Best,
Ted