September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (dukxdog, Perry M. Kissam, Researcher), 216 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,889
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at the gauge advertised on this site and did a search for related posts in this forum. It came up empty, so I was wondering if anyone here owns one? If so, how well does it work? Is the extension worthwhile?

THanks!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marc:
I've checked one out at our club; being a stockmaker I already had similar tools, but this is pretty much an all-in-one deal. Also was set up next to Bob at the Stamford, CT gun show, so I heard every detail. It is a pretty useful tool. The extension has a magnet in so the unit will sit on the rib and you can have both hands freed up to adjust and check measurements. IMO, though, unless you are really into the "+/- 1/32 of-an-inch" realm, it may be a bit of extravagance. Hope this helps.

Craig, what did you think of his BoreMaster? Did he sell many of these? http://www.shotguncombogauge.com/multiboregauge.html

Does anybody have one of these?

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't seen the bore gauge, kind of looks like a hobbiest tool. I've got professional tools for checking the entire bore, inside and wall thickness (both from Galazan). I do know that often the thinnest barrel walls are a bit deeper in than 6", most folks check in the 7"-9" region. When I check, I go for the thinnest wall no matter were it might be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry:
The gauge is kinda cool; as Steve pointed out, it only reaches 6 inches or so, which is plenty for checking chokes or chambers; I think the accepted measurement for bore diameter is 9" from the breech face, so this is a bit lacking for that exact measurement. Overall, though, not too bad, although you do need to develop a sense of "feel" for when to take your measurement, as the longer rods are a bit willowy when forced against the choke or chamber walls.
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Both tools are kind of all in one and portable. Price is not as much as other, perhaps more exact (or at least more established) setups. Both are versatile within their limits. Easy to use once I read the instructions with the gauge. I found the gauge less subject to error than the "tuning fork" and easier to read than the "probes" with less tendency to bend. Robert indicates that a light touch is all that is necessary. Some of us did a comparison at the last Vintagers and came out liking these products for general duty. Besides, the gauge is fun.

Thanks Craig for your opinion.

Montana, are you comparing the BoreGauge with some other bore gauge or the shotgun combo gauge? I'm just trying to get some idea of the accuracy and consistency of the BoreGauge.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited by Double Trouble; 04/11/07 09:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found the Shotgun Combo Gauge one of the best purchases I have made. It makes measuring LOP and DAC/DAH a snap, and I think is perfectly accurate. You can even use it to estimate cast, albeit not with the same precision as the other measurements. Well worth in in my opinion.

On the other hand, I see the Bore Gauge as a gimmick, and not nearly so useful as the traditional dial barrel readers as made by CSP and Galazan. They are far more versatile and I suspect more accurate. I wouldn't buy the Bore Gauge.

Keith

Sidelock
Sidelock

Compared this Roberts Bore Gauge to the Galazan three probe set up (which arguably works the best when used by those very familiar with it) as well as the standard Clymer (tuning fork) and probe bore gauge (such as this at Champlin Arms http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=20). OTHER THAN REACH, we were quickly able to accurately replicate consistent readings much more easily on the Roberts. It essentially came down to how used one was to using the probe style however.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montana, I have a couple of questions. First, what is it about the Galazan bore micrometer that requires "familiarity"? It is about the simplest bore gauge ever made. The Clymer "tuning fork" that I am familiar with is a wall thickness gauge, not a bore gauge. Is there something else in the Clymer line that is a bore gauge that could be described as a tuning fork? The Champlin link you provided pictures a gauge similar to the Galazan gauge, not like the Clymer tuning fork, and also, like the Galazan, very simple to operate.

Last edited by eightbore; 04/11/07 01:24 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.