Originally Posted By: eightbore
The breech end of the solid rib can be filed to shape before installation to exactly match up with any receiver irregularities. The height of the rib can also be lowered by filing the base. It could be a very neat installation with some attention to detail. By the way, the front of the receiver on my gun is a square edge. It is early prewar. Bill, you have given me some ideas for my Remington Model 121 Routledge, which is not in collectable condition.

Yes you could match up the end of the rib to any chamfer or irrgularity on the recv'r.
But if you do anything other than a nice straight joint at the face of the bbl & rec'vr..you'll never get the bbl off of the frame again w/o shearing any rib overhang. Maybe you won't see a need to pull the bbl,,but making the bbl and recv'r a permanent assembly,,,no.

A certain rib putter onner was great at splicing the first base for the vent rib into the front of the breech extension of the M42 and M12. The breech extension is now a permanent attachment to the bbl. More than a few of the upgrades floating around that are put together like that.

The Winchester 'solid' rib is hollow. You fit them by filing the legs of the rib, then bevel the inside edges to match the bbl for a good solder joint and a flush fit on the outside..
Depending on how high you want it to sit, the top surface may be just barely above the rounded surface of the bbl. The width of the rib will determine how much of a side flat of that rib you see. The wider the rib,,the more side flat.
If you place the center top of the rib even with the rounded top surface of the frame,,the side edges of the rib at the frame are outside the frame arc. A very narrow rib can be set higher than a wide rib. Neither looks good with the edges of the rib poking out along the front edge of the rounded frame. So the top surface just naturaly has to sit below it. How much depends on rib width ,the arc of the rcev'r and any chamfer or rounded front edge that you try to avoid.

They look good through!