Originally Posted By: DrBob
As far as I am concerned the matter is closed. I see no advantage in pressing this any further.

Lets reverse the situation. She buys estate jewelry. I inherit a diamond from my mother. I know nothing about diamonds. I don't even know how diamonds are graded. A friend of my bother in laws cousin who once attended a diamond show tells me it a C grade diamond. The dealer offers me $xxx. She pays me and I cash the check. On the way to delivering it to her I stop by another jewelry store and the jeweler tells me it is a B grade and worth $XXX + $Y. Am I obligated to deliver the diamond to the original buyer? Do I have the right to demand $Y in addition to the $XXX already paid before delivery?

If so, I think all commerce could come to a grinding halt. Think about finding a rare Corvette on a used car lot. You pay the asking price and go to pick up a friend to drive your car home. Meanwhile somebody stops in at the dealer and offers him more than you paid. Does he have the right to sell it? Lets say you actually take the car home. Somebody comes into the car lot and says, remember that Corvette you sold, I would pay you $X more for it. Can he come to your house and take it back?

I essence I feel that's what happened. I paid for the gun, the check was cashed and the gun was briefly in my possession while I inspected it. Maybe I shouldn't have given it back.

The only thing is that I am now gun shy of buying a gun from an individual. I am not sure that even if it had been through one of the online sales or auction sites I would have been protected.

Most likely I will continue to buy guns from individuals. If on a website I will look carefully at the feedback. If no feedback or if it is an individual I don't know who contacts me outside of a web site I will require that the transaction take place through an FFL. I will offer to pay the FFL transfer fee.

This was a private party sale. Just because you own some sort of a business doesn't make you a firearms dealer because you are selling a gun.

You inherit your Moms diamond and are told it is a c grade 1.5 carat gem and you sell it as that online. You provide photos of the gem some while it is on your Mom's hand. On the way to the meeting in a mall you go into a jewelery store while you wait for your buyer and find the gem is a C grade but weighs nearly 3 carats. Are you obligated to sell a 3 carat gem for the price of a 1.5 carat? Should you ask for more money in addition to the money sent for a 1.5 carat gem?
A department store advertises a TV online for 2500.00. But no one catches a mistake in the decimal point and the ad says 250.00. Over 5000 units are sold and some cks are cashed before someone looks into why so many units sold so fast. No units were sent out prior to them realizing their mistake, what is their obligation?

Last edited by PM; 01/26/14 03:16 PM.