Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
Foxy,

Very little pipe welding for my boys...friggen union thing. Heavy plate and lots of it in 250ft diameter tanks. Manuals, automatics and "Goat's" on the floors and decks 7024 (jet rod 1G only), 6010 (5P),7018(LoHy)...We have a little machine called a "Vertimatic" that dumps molten weld deposit in a 3/4" root gap (for vertical shell welds)..weld metal is contained by brass plates on either side of the butt weld. 100% Xray on everything over 1".....a lot of preheat required these days..burr.....Lincoln loves us by the way.

Best,
Ken
Thanks Ken- nice to have a friend here who speaks the same "Lincoln Language" and their trade publication is called "The Stabilizer" Innershield welding in 1G- the old 7024 iron pwoder enhanced flux "drag rod" always seems to lay down a "banana peel off" bead when run on AC--1/4" dia. you are in the 250 AMP range-- so your local electric power grid must love your shop. I am also guessing you, and maybe only you, can understand why I get pissed just a bit at the numbnuts who think TIG welding on certain aprts (barrels) on double shotguns is a FUBAR in the making-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..