September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (snapcap, Reidy, Chad Linder, Chantry, Roundsworth), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I usually drink water during the course of a day hunting. After the guns are put away, my buddies and I will have a beer on the tailgate before setting off for home.
There is never more than one beer per person in the cooler. I don't drink hard liquor, and, oddly, none of my hunting buddies do either. My Father wasn't a teetotaler, but, he might as well have been-I remember him having about 4 beers over the course of his life, never before, during or after hunting or shooting, however. My Father's passing did teach me that I have very few hunting partners, something I wasn't conscious of when he was alive.
I witnessed things going way wrong in an alcohol fueled fashion at a shoot at a local club in my youth (that club doesn't exist anymore) and have pretty much sworn them off.
An old girlfriend gave me a ceramic hip flask, many years ago, that remains unused.
The thought was nice. I simply have no use for it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, I much appreciate the thought out opinions and civil discussion.

That kit has travelled with on all kinds of hunts over the last 15 years. It has been well-used countless times, under roofs or dark skies, after the guns have been put to bed.

But to be truthful, it has also come out under blue skies and I can count those occasions on one hand. The right combination of a truly worthy occasion (not a mere excuse to drink) and the right kinds of moderate fellows for whom a small single ceremonial dose is enough, is a truly rare thing.

I'm taken back to a buck I shot 2 decades ago. The first to join me at the scene was the same Polish fellow who gave me that field bag. It was on that November morning that I experienced my first Old World twig ceremony, which was topped off with a single capful of cognac. My world could not have been more perfect.

Beagle #359487 03/02/14 01:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Beagle
Drinking beer at afternoon dove shoots is pretty much accepted.

Not by me it isn't! Sorry to disagree but I have picked up and left a dove shoot because the guy on my left was drinking beer. What others accept is their own business...Geo

Mea culpa, I must confess that many years ago in Tamaulipas State Mexico when my bird boy handed me a couple of those Coronas in the little bottles since there was no water, I chugged with the best of them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the posts, one size doesn't fit all. It appears the absolutely-nots are describing hunts or shoots where all are not known well to each other. I haven't met any here personally but intuitively I'd expect all to be responsible with timing of alcohol.

Geo, your Corona story reminded me of a provincial skeet shoot 60-odd years ago when I was two-man with Maritime skeet champion. He missed his second shot, broke 24, drank a large beer at each break and ended with a 99.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's about it, KB.

Some of the comments verge on neurosis, i.e. an irrational fear.

Just remember...

"Alcohol and gunpowder don't mix. It gets all soggy and hard to light."

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

Mea culpa, I must confess that many years ago in Tamaulipas State Mexico when my bird boy handed me a couple of those Coronas in the little bottles since there was no water, I chugged with the best of them.

Geo,

I wouldn't sweat those Coronas. About as strong as near beer.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Firewater and gunpowder don't mix. Period.

After the shooting is over is another thing. And "over" would include a celebratory capful as described above because that day's shooting was over when the buck dropped. But, again, if someone has to drive home or any distance, limiting it to one and one only is probably the best way to go. Speaking for myself, I wait until I get to where I'm going to sleep - usually my home - and until I'm done with anything gun related before opening a bottle.

Fishing, OTOH, is an entirely different matter. My consumption there is only limited by maintaining balance in the boat and the need to be sober enough to pass a DWI test if I'm at the helm. But I'm not out in the ocean or exceptionally big water, either.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can still drown, Dave.

They found a guy face down near his boat on Lake Saint Clair a couple years back... the water would have been roughly up to his waist.

BAC tested at something like .30%

He was, literally, too drunk to fish.

And, besides, you could put an eye out with one of those dreadful hooky things you torture the poor fish with...

Have you no morality or conscience or social responsibility?

My God man! Drinking and fishing!

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
"If you shoot driven birds in the UK, you may well be offered a nip of "barrel straightener" along with your "elevenses", and wine will probably be served with lunch. But it's always done with moderation.

You are absolutely correct - indeed, it would be rare not to be offered a small drink (often sloe gin), mid morning, and a glass of wine with lunch. In 40 years of accompanying shoots, I have NEVER seen this abused by 'over indulgence'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
You can still drown, Dave.

They found a guy face down near his boat on Lake Saint Clair a couple years back... the water would have been roughly up to his waist.

BAC tested at something like .30%

He was, literally, too drunk to fish.

And, besides, you could put an eye out with one of those dreadful hooky things you torture the poor fish with...

Have you no morality or conscience or social responsibility?

My God man! Drinking and fishing!

He died doing what he loved. (And proved himself a real redneck by being too drunk to fish.)

The difference is, of course, that no one other than the dead guy was directly harmed by the dead guy's (over)indulgence. Ain't that way with firearms - pretty likely someone else will be harmed by the indulgent hunter. Which, I guess, is as good a reason for the distinction in the law. There's no drinking while hunting/shooting, but there's no law outlawing drinking and fishing, only no operating the boat under the influence.

And, as John in UK noted right upthread, on UK shoots you're likely to get "A" nip (of sloe gin) in the morning and "A" glass of wine with lunch. "A" as in "one". Which is, I guess, a sensible limit if alcohol is to be consumed.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.