September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ithaca1, azgreg, j7l2, steve f, SKB), 376 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,924
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
....if someone has to drive home or any distance, limiting it to one and one only is probably the best way to go....

....Fishing, OTOH, is an entirely different matter. My consumption there is only limited by maintaining balance in the boat and the need to be sober enough to pass a DWI test if I'm at the helm. But I'm not out in the ocean or exceptionally big water, either.

I believe there're many small water places that treat on the water DWI similar to on the road violations. Might not be the best game plan even if one could get away with it. I don't mind a drunk boater doing themselves in, I'd just hope it wouldn't involve some other unrelated person.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine

He died doing what he loved.

The difference is, of course, that no one other than the dead guy was directly harmed by the dead guy's (over)indulgence

Really? If indeed no one else was harmed by his tragic death then he was a sad and lonesome individual. I don't know anyone who lives that isolated a life, that has no loved ones to mourn their loss, or be placed into hardship by it. I think your statement calls for some further consideration of who he left behind. Wife, children (read dependents).

'Course, I guess if he loved drinking that much then he wasn't considering what his loved ones might go through after a tragic, and embarrassing, death.

I sure don't see that situation like you do, Dave.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the distinction Dave is drawing is that an intoxicated person with a gun risks significantly physically harming another with a misplaced shot. A different sort of harm then from depriving loved ones of your company.

Last edited by nca225; 03/03/14 12:11 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

This whole thread is ridiculous....drinking and firearms do not mix...legally and by common street sense...the stories and traditions , here and in the UK mean nothing. "This guy was my buddy, we did this, and we did that...yada, yada, yada.."..all attempts at justifying this and that, ...splitting hairs.....this guy can hold his own ....he fishes shitfaced....in most states if you drink even after you have shot at a club or in the field, and get stopped..( especially with a shotgun in the car), and get a DUI, they will come and take your guns away from you.....the statement about Prohibitionist being back is an idiotic statement.....yawn....the initial post has nice items though. ....I guess " real men" can shoot while under the influence....there is no shortage of "real men " on this forum...

Last edited by Condor; 03/03/14 01:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drink then shoot NOT OK!!
Shoot then drink OK

Nuff said

PS drink then type is also risky i'll check this in the morning and see if I did OK

Sidelock
Sidelock

Deaths by accidental shooting in 2011 in the US, 851, of which 70 or 80 are thought attributable to hunting.

Deaths by accidental shooting in 2011 in the UK, 2, from all causes, contribution from hunting unknown.

As my late Grandfather would sing, "Booze, boys, and bugger the Band of Hope!"

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here where I live, if a game warden checks you on a dove field and he sees a cooler by you he asks to see inside. If there is alcohol there you are written a citation, period. No breath test. It is (rightly) assumed that if you have it by your stool, while shooting, then you intend to consume it.

If you are stopped while boating on the water here, and the warden has reason to suspect drinking, and you are, you will be checked and written a citation. Most boating accidents around here involve alcohol.

Wonder if these fellows who insist it is okay to break these laws are the same ones who will crucify a man for killing over the limit?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
I said SHOT Larry, not imagine what it might be like to be shot.

All the fancy flag waving and whistle blowing on a driven shoot is a ritualized effort to keep people that have limited skills or have been drinking, from shooting the ground staff.

I guess you missed that on your shoot.

Actually CZ, all the whistle blowing and flag waving on the part of the beaters has to do with flushing the birds, and pushing them in the right direction. What keeps "the ground staff" from being shot is the "blue sky" rule: You don't shoot any birds that aren't surrounded by sky. Neither flags nor voices nor whistles nor anything else needed to tell grass, hills and trees from the sky.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/03/14 09:15 AM.
Condor #359580 03/03/14 09:19 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Condor
This whole thread is ridiculous....drinking and firearms do not mix...legally and by common street sense...the stories and traditions , here and in the UK mean nothing. "This guy was my buddy, we did this, and we did that...yada, yada, yada.."..all attempts at justifying this and that, ...splitting hairs.....this guy can hold his own ....he fishes shitfaced....in most states if you drink even after you have shot at a club or in the field, and get stopped..( especially with a shotgun in the car), and get a DUI, they will come and take your guns away from you.....the statement about Prohibitionist being back is an idiotic statement.....yawn....the initial post has nice items though. ....I guess " real men" can shoot while under the influence....there is no shortage of "real men " on this forum...

Getting a DUI is a bad thing. Took my son 2 of them to learn his lesson. But at least in Iowa, 2nd offense DUI does not lead to a loss of your gun rights. That takes 3, becomes a felony, and you also lose your voting rights. But I don't think many states take away gun rights after the FIRST DUI.

Sidelock
Sidelock

L. Brown, you are probably right about that...in my Green state, the local police chief in the town you live in is the guy who does the review for your LTC, etc....also in some big cities like NYC and Boston....they will not even give you the class A license...you can get an FID card for a shotgun...so what can happen is the arresting police sees you have a LTC or FID....notifies your local chief...and if he wants to...he can show up at your house and take your guns....you have legal rights to then pursue...but what a pain....any little violation of gun laws can trigger this stuff...and any violation relating to alcohol can possibly trigger this. If you have the gun in your car, coming back from a shoot, and are stopped for DUI...believe me when I say, that gun is gone. The Chief can take it a step further and show up at your home and take the rest if them....there is a Federal court case pending now relating to this arbitrary application of chiefs acting differently in various localities. I am not speak to the legal issues, just that it can be a supreme pain in the ass.....and...here is the kicker...when your gun license expires, and you go to renew it...the chief will see that you have a DUI...and may chose, for public safety, or whatever, NOT to renew it..please, do not tell me to move, etc. this is the situations in many states.

Last edited by Condor; 03/03/14 10:58 AM.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.