Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking set; nice bag, too!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Make no mistake about it, prohibitionists are back.

If you haven't noticed, there are people quite willing to inflict their belief systems on others who at the same time don't believe any such thing could or should happen to THEM because their way of life is obviously so superior and correct.

This is the primary thing wrong with human society and has been since the beginning.

The question was 'does it belong?'.

The answer is it depends on the company you keep. There are those I always share a drink with and other crowds I associate with until it's time for them to go to church. They aren't going to change me and I'm not going to force anything they consider evil upon them.

More for me that way.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could not agree more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't remember hunting with anyone or in any group where the understanding was that nothing alcoholic came out until all firearms were stowed for the day.
I personally would not hunt under any circumstances then this.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #359280 02/28/14 03:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a good rule. None should discount it. I can't remember gunning within the last 45 years when there's been alcohol around, period. But I think alcohol and guns depends on circumstances. I hunt with friends.

Let's say I was on the barrens hunting with newf and his friends and we "b'iled the kittle" and shared a libation after walking our legs off. It's social, companionable, part of a distinct island culture. I'd be pleased to be part of it.

I wouldn't feel I had violated a credo in the company of responsible men.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the modern day expectation Jim, and It's a good idea.

Things have really changed though in the 35 short years I've been involved in shooting.

First club I actually bought a membership at was a trap club. We would play a childish card game that cost a dollar to enter. Winner take all. Catch was that the winner was expected to buy beers all around the table, and beers cost.... a dollar.

By the end of the game our squad was on deck. We did this all day long. Nobody ever got hurt. This was an older crowd, and I very much enjoyed their company. Most of those guys are dead now, and I think almost to a man they died from smoking. There's a lesson there.

The next club I joined was a 'men only' club. That lasted until about 1997 when it was either allow women members or lose the charitable gaming license that paid the taxes. More social engineering at work. We do have women members now, and they are a huge asset.

I'm not an advocate of driving while actually impaired. I will say though... that .08% is draconian and arbitrary.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Der Ami #359325 02/28/14 07:47 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
The set looks pretty German to me

I would have said so too, but the maker is Pinder Bros. of Sheffield. Ordered them here, I'd be happy to pass along the link.

The field bag however is Polish, brought over by a friend of mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 80s I used to go king mackerel fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico. My day would start at 3am loading up the boat, followed by an 80 mile drive to the Galveston boat launch with breakfast on the way. Id usually try to put in between 6-7am. Id often run 25-30 miles offshore. I didnt care if my guests drank, as long as they didnt get obnoxious. Id try to arrive back at the boat launch around 5-6pm. As for me, it was too long and draining a day to even think about drinking alcohol, much less having to metabolize it. Id drink gallons of water out in the Gulf and have one ice cold beer on the way back in. I just couldnt risk being overly tired and drunk for that 80 mile drive home.

The problem with alcohol is some people just dont have a sense of whats enough.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Rockdoc #359331 02/28/14 08:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I shot at Lapeer last year I was very impressed to see that they had a separate "concession area" that sold beer, and the door remained locked until the shooting was (all but)over.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

"No booze until the shooting is over" is certainly the American standard. However, if you shoot driven birds in the UK, you may well be offered a nip of "barrel straightener" along with your "elevenses", and wine will probably be served with lunch. But it's always done with moderation.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.