September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, NCTarheel, Argo44, 2 invisible), 273 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,927
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eugene molloy
Deaths by accidental shooting in 2011 in the US, 851, of which 70 or 80 are thought attributable to hunting.

Deaths by accidental shooting in 2011 in the UK, 2, from all causes, contribution from hunting unknown.

As my late Grandfather would sing, "Booze, boys, and bugger the Band of Hope!"

Eug

Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. It's always a good thing to minimize them. There has been comment that the situation is worsening, but I hope you folks have the chance to get out to the field more. I think it's just a numbers exercise and not related to intoxication.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my 76 years I have learned that there are bad driver, poor drinkers and unsafe hunter, at this point in my life I have avoided all the above so far! My hunting fellows all take their libations prior to dinner, no driving, and at least 10 to 12 hours before the next hunt.

Last edited by [pilgrim; 03/03/14 04:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back around 1970 something, I remember a US National Champion pistol shot that said in an interview, his secret was a can of beer, and a Valium before the match. And then the poop hit the fan......wow. We used to sell beer at the club turkey shoots back in the 1960-70s. Liability lawyers put the stops to that. One guy I remember had his shotgun taken away, and told to leave. I used to win more turkeys back then. One beer shouldn't be a problem.

hippie redneck geezer
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xs hedspace
Back around 1970 something, I remember a US National Champion pistol shot that said in an interview, his secret was a can of beer, and a Valium before the match. And then the poop hit the fan......wow. We used to sell beer at the club turkey shoots back in the 1960-70s. Liability lawyers put the stops to that. One guy I remember had his shotgun taken away, and told to leave. I used to win more turkeys back then. One beer shouldn't be a problem.

My late uncle TA was a career Marine and a heckuva shot serving as a scout/sniper at one time. He also was a DI during his career at Parris Island. An older friend, Caleb, had him as his DI in basic. Caleb said the platoon was a mess at the rifle range, horrible shots. TA figured it was nerves and decided to loosen them up with a little beer the night before qualifying. It made them worse. TA was so pissed off at the trainees that, according to Caleb, he made them skip like girls all the way from the range back to the barracks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't drink when I'm working and I don't drink when I'm hunting. But I will admit to playing better snooker and eight ball after one beer. Not better after two.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I usually drink water during the course of a day hunting. After the guns are put away, my buddies and I will have a beer on the tailgate before setting off for home.
There is never more than one beer per person in the cooler. I don't drink hard liquor, and, oddly, none of my hunting buddies do either. My Father wasn't a teetotaler, but, he might as well have been-I remember him having about 4 beers over the course of his life, never before, during or after hunting or shooting, however. My Father's passing did teach me that I have very few hunting partners, something I wasn't conscious of when he was alive.
I witnessed things going way wrong in an alcohol fueled fashion at a shoot at a local club in my youth (that club doesn't exist anymore) and have pretty much sworn them off.
An old girlfriend gave me a ceramic hip flask, many years ago, that remains unused.
The thought was nice. I simply have no use for it.

Let me know if you would like to sell it Ted, since of course, you don't use it or have any use for it. I collect them and have pewter, stainless steel, and glass, but no ceramics!! PM me or send a picture!!!

Best,
Ted

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
nca225 #359644 03/03/14 07:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
ninepointer,

That's a nice set. I hope you enjoy it. It's clear that you're not suggesting that it should be used to provide alcohol while hunting, but with regards to drinking and hunting it's just not worth it. The chance that you could stumble across a warden who would check you and could smell alcohol are just too high, and the possibility of losing your hunting license and/or your have your double confiscated just doesn't make it worth it. That being said, there's nothing wrong with having a few with dinner while at bird camp after a long day's hunt, or even a short one for that matter so long as you're done hunting for the day.

Now when it comes to ice fishing....

It would be a cryin' shame if a slimy anti-gun troll like nca225 got all likkered up and fell through the ice... especially after the filthy disgusting things he said about my daughters last year, and then refused to delete.

Apologies to anyone who might feign or actually be offended by my opinion of him. I am very offended by his remarks, and find it disgusting that he thinks he could just slither away for a few months and come back as if it never happened.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #359667 03/03/14 09:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

Apologies to anyone who might feign or actually be offended by my opinion of him. I am very offended by his remarks, and find it disgusting that he thinks he could just slither away for a few months and come back as if it never happened.

At it again eh keith? You may be surprised to learn that no one gives a shit about you, your hurt feelings or your trumped up outrage on the general forum. This is the place where the adults talk about double guns. The food fights are reserved for the misfires forum. You should keep your childish diatribe down there, as per Weber's rules. Didn't you learn that the last time you crawled out of the misfires forum and interjected yourself into a civil discussion to universal condemnation?

Last edited by nca225; 03/03/14 09:47 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

You two should should get together and have a beer...

In a gun free environment.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

nca225, you filthy slime, you weren't talking about doubleguns. This is an off-topic post about drinking and shooting. The universal condemnation you speak of is just another lie from an anti-gun troll who wishes to pretend to be a gun guy. No one says what you said about my daughters and gets a pass. I know it bothers you immensely to be outed as an anti-gun troll who is now pretending to be civil. You "give a shit". That makes me smile.

Shotgunjones, couple days ago, nca225 said I risked getting punched in the nose. I asked him when he'd like to try that. No answer.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.