September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Gunning Bird, ShepFL, Lloyd3, AGS, 2 invisible), 258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,910
Posts550,672
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody likes to shoot more than I do. Nobody. But you guys still don't get what I'm trying to point out here. Most of us realize the course at Deep River for the Southern is always the same, and that it needs to be changed. It's a fact.

What I'm saying is very few of us want to bother with all the trouble to go to another venue in the middle of a destination event in order to get more challenging targets.

I shoot competitive registered Sporting Clays and go to a lot of tournaments year round in order to shoot challenging targets and compete, in many different events. It's some pretty serious shooting. I'm not worried about trying to do the same when I come to the Southern, I just want to have a good time and shoot my best, regardless of what the course is. Don't have to be concerned with any "stigma" of shooting elsewhere for enjoyment either.

Judy and I enjoy socializing with old friends, especially the G.R.I.T.S., and taking our sweet time to stroll through the gun tents and relax a little. Judy is actually going to try her hand on the course this year.

And until I, or anyone else, shoot 50x50 or 80x80 on that same course, it's not something that I'm worried about being difficult enough.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 03/05/14 01:19 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, if we were not so constrained by the time issue, I would love to come over to Drake Landing and shoot with you guys. It's just too much to fit in without feeling pushed, and especially after a 12 hour drive getting there..

I intend to see what I can do about getting DR to reset their entire course before this year's event. Change is good.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

John heres a thought for you. I drive 13+ hours to get there as well. Some of us arrive Wednesday and will shoot Drakes Thursday. You are welcome to come shoot either Thursday or Friday am and therefore will not miss any of your events at DR.

Good luck with getting Bill to improve the facility, I know others who have tried...and failed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds good, Rich. That could be a definite possibility.
JR

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John hope you can make it Thursday (all day) or Friday morning, it would be fun to meet you Eric

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, let me know when you get Bill to improve the property or the course.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, the wheels of change may have been set in motion. I spoke today with the one person who is capable of getting BK to change the course. Let's hope he succeeds. It's needed and in the best interest of the Spring Southern SxS.
JR

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Well, the wheels of change may have been set in motion. I spoke today with the one person who is capable of getting BK to change the course. Let's hope he succeeds. It's needed and in the best interest of the Spring Southern SxS.
JR

I totally agree with you on that..! But for this year for me Thursday and Friday morning at Drakes just to shoot and have fun and then over to DR for the rest of the weekend meeting old friends and visiting the vendor tables, I am looking forward to it and please no "Snow"

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unfortunately, I started this forum to see if anyone was going from the Midwest, especially, Missouri but I have had not one reply from a Missouri. Thanks for all the comments about the actual shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had already made that observation, but did you read the post I made earlier regarding Bruce Bonney from St. Louis and the LCSCA? Bruce works nights in the avaiation industry and I doubt if he reads this forum (never seen him post anyway). Again you can reach him thru the LC Smith forum (lcsmith.org); or if asked, PM me and I'll forward his email addy. Also, I would encorage you not to draw any conclusions from some of the negative comments made in this thread as I don't know of anything/any event ever invented that was perfect and pleased everybody; but the Southern, in spite of its faults, is definately worth the trip. As FYI I was there 14 years ago to attend the very first Southern Side x Side; the evemt was sparsely attended and the single small exhibitors tent at that first event had about half the tables provided empty, and some that were occupied were donated; one of which went to the PGCA. That was my first experience with the PGCA, and eventually lead to the idea of creating the LC Smith vs. Parker Challenge; which event would not have happened without the support of Bill Kempfler, the owner of Deep River. But if the Southern wasn't special in the minds of so many people who make purposeful plans to attend this event each year, it could not have become the phenomenal success it has become today. As to the clays courses at Deep River I've yet to shoot any, other than the 5-stand (time constraints) layouts; but Bill and I did dicuss those courses a few years ago. I learned that bill only has a 60-acre facility, which facility is bordered by constantly complaining neighbors. The result is that Bill is forced to be very cautious in setting up his courses so that shot does not reign down on neighboring tracts; and still insure the safety of shooters in different areas of the property is protected. So unless the acreage of the Deep River faciltiy can be expanded, Bill will continue to be limited as to what he can do with the different sporting clays venues.
Just my thoughts
Tom

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.