OK, I pulled out my copy of "The Best of Babcock", Holt Rinehart Winston, 1974 and the fallen lady was STILL a Parker. The attribution is just "Field and Stream" with no date. However I remember reading it in Field and Stream and even now can picture the artwork showing the author in his attic pulling out the old Parker.

The moment of truth is described in the story as follows:

"Tomorrow I would give those New Englanders a lesson in the art of eye-wiping, but right now I would gloat over my beauty alone. I'd doll her up just a bit. Later I'd remove the old black paint from the barrels and have them reblued, of course, but right now I'd merely hit the high spots, like that paint smudge on the left barrel."

"Daubing it with a little paint remover, I waited a moment, then brushed the paste off. The exposed metal didn't look quite right; it seemed to have a spiral pattern. I stopped dead still, a chilling suspicion at my throat. Then, removing the forearm, I went to work vigorously with an emery cloth. Again the telltale spirals leaped at me."

"The sickening truth was irrefutable: the barrels of my precious gun were visibly, unmistakably, and irreparably Damascus, made in the old black-powder days by twisting strip steel around a mandrel, then heat-welding it. For unnumbered years Damascus barrels were highly regarded, but the coming of smokeless powder doomed them. In simple fact, nitro loads blew many of them apart, with resultant damage to the shooters." pages 145,146, Fallen Lady, "The Best of Babcock"...Geo