September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NCTarheel, Parabola, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 235 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,907
Posts550,634
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot many times with the late "Uncle Robert" Brister at sporting clays. I don't know of anyone else who constantly experimented with shotguns, chokes, shells, etc. more than Bob. His success at skeet, trap, sporting clays, and live pigeons on the highest competitive levels meant he was someone I would listen to regarding shotguns and shooting. He once told me that under 40 yards cylinder bore was deadly and 40 yards and beyond you might as well have full choke. A deadly colombaire shooter, Bob once used a Remington 3200 trap gun with the lower barrel cut off 4" in front of the forearm...cylinder for the first shot and full for the second. My lifelong shooting buddy has that gun now. I have an English hammer gun with 30" .724 bore barrels that are not choked. Doves and clay targets are hammered at ranges out to 35 or more yards with 7/8 oz. 1100 fps. light loads. Unless I am pass shooting ducks, geese or sandhill cranes, open chokes of IC or less is what I use even in 28 ga. Once I had the pleasure of shooting and talking guns with a noted British sporting clays champion and asked him how often he changed chokes during a tournament in his O/U....he admitted he had let the chokes rust in and couldn't get them out; they were both IC. Targets out to 50 yards were smoked with those IC chokes. Like Uncle Robert said, "You're either on 'em or you ain't"

Sidelock
Sidelock

An old 6.5lb 12ga Ithaca Deerlsayer Police Special (later known as LAPD model) makes for very fine upland and skeet gun. smirk
The availability of lower velocity tactical slugs and buck shot (including precious Federal premium LE flight control SG BK shot) from several manufacturers is icing of the cake, baby!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If one were to read the ENTIRE McIntosh article in question ("More Things We Can Do Without", Shooting Sportsman, Sept/Oct 2010), one would discover that he does not say "cylinder for everything". He's focusing mainly on upland hunters, per the following quote from that article:

"For upland hunters, choke now is more bane than boon. Choke performance traditionally is measured at 40 yards--but it's a well-documented fact that the great majority of upland birds are killed within 25 yards of the gun."

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use and own ONLY full and modified chokes and use them anywhere, any target, I adjust the ammo for the topography and target as J.R.B. mentioned above. To each his own though.

BUT, Here's something perfect for the North Eastern, North Central brush/lot/grouse hunters and folks who just can't keep it on target and love more "spread" or have poor eyesight........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perfect for the modern day pilgrim Doug. ROFLMAO

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

I use and own ONLY full and modified chokes and use them anywhere, any target, I adjust the ammo for the topography and target as J.R.B. mentioned above. To each his own though.

BUT, Here's something perfect for the North Eastern, North Central brush/lot/grouse hunters and folks who just can't keep it on target and love more "spread" or have poor eyesight........

That plus Glock 20 loaded with new Federal 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws at 1275fps, oh yeees. Makes one want to jump up and whistle Dixie! whistle

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has to feel confident that they are using what is best for them. A gun with two barrels without constriction would not work well for me except on the rare day that the birds are sitting exceptionally well. For my hunting conditions I want a gun with at least the constriction equivalent of modified in the left barrel. Anything up to modified works well enough for me in the right barrel. Now, if I was shooting larger payloads or at larger targets less choke might work but a big payload for me is 7/8 ounce and I only shoot that much in 12 and 16 gauge guns. When I'm out trying to hit birds with a half-ounce shot charge a bit of choke is appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

[quote]

It's not so much about more spread to kill the birds, PA24. Rather, it's about the condition of the birds AFTER you kill them.

Remembering what we know about typical first shots at woodcock and grouse . . . most folks don't pattern their guns at 15-20 yards. If they did, I expect they'd never go grouse hunting with anything as tight as M or F. (Data from the Loyal Order of Dedicated Grouse Hunters indicates that almost none of them have anything as tight as M, except maybe in the 2nd barrel of a double.) Nick Sisley shot close range patterns--from 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards--a few years back. The results are educational, to say the least. He used 5 different loads through 2 different gauges. Pattern diameter of M at 10 yards: 8". Skeet: 15.6". So, would one rather put George Evans' favorite grouse load (an ounce of 8's) into that 53 square inch mod pattern, or into the 193 square inch skeet pattern? (Cylinder, which Sisley didn't test, would be even better.) Moving out to 20 yards, we have a mod pattern covering 301 square inches; skeet covers 711.

I'm thinking that if I hunt grouse and woodcock with PA24, I'm going to be very careful to keep my cyl/skeet shot birds separate from his mod shot birds. Come to think of it, probably wouldn't be that hard. You center a woodcock at Steve Smith's average first shot range of 13 yards with a mod choke, no problem separating it from the rest of the bag. The shot will have separated it from itself. Blood, guts, feathers. Some of us would rather recover birds still fit for the table.
[quote]

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/26/14 07:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come up here for late season pheasants with that cyl/skeet combo you won't have to worry about birds fit for your table because you won't have any. grin

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Come up here for late season pheasants with that cyl/skeet combo you won't have to worry about birds fit for your table because you won't have any. grin

Joel:

L. Brown is not too bright, he can't help it. Obviously he doesn't know how to reload and alter loads for short and long range, spreaders, shot, powder, short chambers and all the rest..... basically he's a dense motor mouth who only talks to hear his head rattle.

Doug

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.