Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
coosa that is great information and a great post. Thanks!

Chuck H. also reported that he regulated a 410 by filing the "chokes" to center the pattern.

Glad you found it interesting, Mike. Last year about this time I posted on here about my previous attempt at making a sxs turkey gun. I bought a cheap Yildiz and had the barrels cut to 24", shortened the stock and added a thick recoil pad, and got the weight down to 5 lbs 2 oz. It shot field loads fine, but shot wall-eyed with the turkey loads - right barrel shot right and left barrel shot left. It was a problem I couldn't solve, so I had Brileys make eccentric chokes and made the gun usable, but it didn't throw very good patterns. Since I know how to file a choke now, I'm gonna try filing one of the cheap chokes I have for it and see if it will be an improvement over the eccentric chokes. Only problem with the Yildiz is that it doesn't have enough triggers.

I'm not sure I understand some of the discussion in this thread, but I thought that all sxs guns had barrel convergence to account for the recoil. If they were perfectly parallel, I'd think they would shoot wall-eyed unless you were using extremely light loads. My thinking is that my Spanish gun was set up with too much convergence, while the Yildiz had the correct amount but it was meant to shoot light field loads. Both barrels of it shot to poa with 1 oz loads; the gun does what it was meant to do and I'm trying to do something with it that the makers never intended. The Spanish gun originally wouldn't shoot anything to poa; I think this was just a flaw in the way its put together.

Its really easy to see the progression in the Yildiz, especially in the right barrel. The heavier the load, the more it shoots to the right. I think to get a light weight sxs that will shoot heavy loads to poa, I'd have to get someone to make me a gun with more convergence than normal. That, or take a file to it, and I gotta believe that is a detriment to the patterns. The Yildiz threw excellent patterns with straight chokes; it just wouldn't center them. The Spanish gun shoots better patterns than the Yildiz does with its eccentric chokes, but they still aren't as good as what its possible to get with a special turkey choke.

The combination I'm using of lightweight guns and heavy loads no doubt exaggerates barrel regulation problems. For most of the readers here, it might never be much of an issue.

Thanks to all for the great info posted here. I don't post often because I don't have the level of knowledge of the regular posters here, but maybe some of my trials with my turkey guns will help someone with a barrel regulation problem.

I know many will cringe at the idea of taking a file to a nice sxs, but remember that these are cheap guns that I am experimenting with for the fun of it more than anything else. I don't plan on chopping up a nice sxs.