Stan: The purpose of arching those barrels back to back is so that the shot charge follows a line parallel to the line of the rib at the time the shot is fired. After the right barrel is fired the recoil causes the barrels to rotate to the right. The rate of this rotation is determined by the cartridge and the MOI of the gun. So the barrel is rotating to the right as the shot charge goes down the barrel. The intention is that when the shot charge comes out of the muzzle it is moving a line parallel to the rib at the time the shot was fired.

Parker built guns in OOO, OO, O, 1/2, 1, 1-1/2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. One of the dimensions that varied with frame size was the distance between the firing pins. Parker made 12 gauge guns on #2 frames that had barrels 26" long and 34" long. Parker factory barrels always touched. There may be a few exceptions to the rule but I have never seen one. Geometry dictates that the barrels converge at a faster rate on the 26" barreled 2 frame gun than they did on the 34" gun. If those tubes are absolute straight then either the 26" gun is going to shoot cross-eyed or the 34" gun is going to shoot wall-eyed or there is a supernatural force acting on the shot charge after it leaves the barrel.

Read Coosa's post again. In the cheap gun he regulated with a file all he did was put curve in in the last few inches of the barrels by opening the outside half of the muzzles to stop it from shooting cross eyed. After he got through regulating them they shot to a point with the turkey loads but not as good with the lighter loads.

I concede that many and maybe most Fox muzzles don't touch. Same with LeFever. But every English gun I own has touching muzzles.

Miller I would be interested in a more detailed critique of my Parker post. For instance you might explain what you think it is that causes both tubes on the 26" 2 frame Parker to shoot to a point at 35 yards and both tubes on the 32" 2 frame Parker to shoot to a point at 35 yards. I mean in the context of them being absolutely straight.

Miller I don't know what you think you can tell about by straightness by measuring the outside of barrels. Having measured the wall thicknesses on many, many barrels the bores are not necessarily concentric with the outside of the barrel. Frequently the wall thickness on the top of the barrel is thinner than the bottom or vice versa. And the outside of the barrels I have are curved, not straight. I would also like to know the the tolerance your eye is calibrated to when you are peering down a barrel measuring straightness. Does it measure down to 1/100" bend per foot of barrel? Can it detect down to 1/1000" per foot of barrel? Or does your method have some unknown plus or minus figure? Or do you know the plus or minus figure?

I enjoy the give and take of debating this issue. But I am nonplussed when my opponent just declares his position is the Truth because he said so.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/10/14 11:51 AM.

I am glad to be here.