September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, Ken57, Shotgunlover, 3 invisible), 487 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,852
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
....this was Holland's very top of the range at the time and the engraver would have been Top Boy....

Theme, design and personal aesthetic preference aside, does this example appear to be technically executed to a high level. Some of the characters and primary scroll designs seem well done.

It appears to me that much of the fill in scroll, a good bit of the border, and most of the shading is pretty rough and crude appearing. It seems to have the look like there was a theme and a coverage percentage, but then maybe not the most adequate budget to execute like top of the line might be.

I haven't seen many examples myself, so maybe this is well done, top of the line. It just seems like H&H has put much cleaner looking engraving on many of their guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't say I'm struck by it very much.Don't really care for this style.Don't like the fences ,or the weird boobs on the bottom, yuck.
And, well it just doesn't seem like such great work, compared to other guns in this class & age, but perhaps that's cause I just don't really like the style.I'm sure it would be interesting to view hands on.
I really find the Belgian style with ribbands scroll n vines thru it very appealing, with the carved intertwined reed/rushy fences.
I always thought Francotte did a nice job on their fences.
I do like a gun with the Celtic knot work style,too, if well done.
Of course it's a very fine Gun, but if I had the price of a 1912 H&H, this wouldn't get me running to the phone
Thanks for putting up another cool gun though, Dig
cheers
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 05/16/14 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember some years ago coming across a pair in 16 bore with mythical beast engraving but I seem to recall the engraving being slightly more in relief. Not quite what I would order. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Agree with you on the execution, Chas, but, I would prefer the gun with 0% coverage engraving and blued to what has been done.
One tour through Graceland is enough to convince you that you can't buy good taste. This gun should be hanging on a wall at Graceland.

Best,
Ted

Not sure if this is a celebratory event or not, but I have to agree with Ted. I recall a Fabbri SxS with similar myth crap by Galeazzi that started at $80K+ and was still begging for love at sub-$30K.

Can you imagine what people would say behind your back if you actually too that H&H out in public? blush

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

That also brought to mind the diligently suppressed memory of this horror. IIRC this theme was also splattered on a multi-gun set of Fabbri O/U's that I saw years ago at Vegas.

One just has to wonder what possessed ............?

http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-...de-shotgun.aspx

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When this was made (1912) the cost of a 'Royal' was 75 guineas. The Modele De Luxe was 100 guineas. An example of this model was exhibited at the 1900 Paris exhibition as an example of the best of the gunmaker's art.

The 1910 catalogue describes the de Luxe thus:

These weapons , whilst containing all the points of our very best guns have specially selected stocks and in addition are finished in an exceedingly artistic manner combining a best gun with a work of art. Selected workmen of great skill are employed on these guns and extra time is spent on hem in every department in order to secure the desired effects. Our Modele de Luxe guns and rifles represent the highest standard of modern unmaking yet reached in this orang other country. Specially suitable as presentation guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Birds, dogs, naked ladies, gargoyles, Indians, trains, oak leaves, oil wells, Biblical scenes........no thank you. Tight scroll, the kind that made the old guys go blind....OK.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: Small Bore
....this was Holland's very top of the range at the time and the engraver would have been Top Boy....

Theme, design and personal aesthetic preference aside, does this example appear to be technically executed to a high level. Some of the characters and primary scroll designs seem well done.

It appears to me that much of the fill in scroll, a good bit of the border, and most of the shading is pretty rough and crude appearing. It seems to have the look like there was a theme and a coverage percentage, but then maybe not the most adequate budget to execute like top of the line might be.

I haven't seen many examples myself, so maybe this is well done, top of the line. It just seems like H&H has put much cleaner looking engraving on many of their guns.

Although I somewhat like the motif, I tend to agree with Craig's opinion.

BTW, why would the "model" be written in French "Modéle de Luxe"?

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not know that there were hermaphrodite gargoyles... from old San Francisco architecture I assume? Thumbs down.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes there is no accounting for taste. Some of the figures look like cartoon characters. Are you sure this gun is an H & H or engraved by them?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.