King, I respect your right to post and believe your intent is with good heart.

I doubt the real value in going into deep US to Canada comparison as what international travel has taught me over the years to various English Speaking countries is that we share almost a common langauge and many other cultural roots, but that we are different.

The differences in world view are far deeper and complete than most people comprehend. Because of that realization I do not comment on Canadian voters choices and the challenges they deal with.

As for America, I am both concerned by violence, gun related and other types and the causes. I find the final paragraph of your posting (copied from a news service of some sort) irritating to the extreme in not so much what it says, but what it does not.

I unquestionably believe the uptick in violence and the decline in civility has more to do with the failure of society to inculcate actual values and ethics and the decline of the family.

Pew is a hack organization, pushing their world view implicitly and explicitly. I doubt their honesty.

Thank you for the post, however bothersome I may see parts of it.

PS I do favor the "proper" enforcement of current gun laws within my state (Kansas) and do see a need for increased resources for mental health issues. I suspect everything in the media on guns.

Last edited by old colonel; 06/13/14 08:51 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS