I have a field for doves that has become a yearly extended family and closest friend shoot. Last year it was split even O/U and Autos with a few pumps and a few doubles. It is my field so I make the rules. And rules have changed to improve safety, protect the birds from burnout and get people out of the meat hunting mentality.

Ten years ago all beer and other adult beverages were banned until after all shooting was done and I thought this was going to cause a riot. Six years ago shooters were limited to two boxes of shells. Those needing more had to exit the field and get one more box of shells at a time. This was done to stop people from shooting excessive number of shells. It worked. Five years ago shooting time was changed to 3:00 start. No need to shoot three extra hours and this lets a lot of birds feed before shooting started. Result was more birds for another day.

If you bring a pump or auto there is a strict two shell limit in the gun. I started this four years ago and swear there has been a dramatic reduction in dove fever and sky busting. Shooters are much more deliberate when you restrict them to two shells verses three. Maybe it is a mental thing.

I have been thinking about changing the rules again to O/U and doubles only or doubles and pumps only for all adults the next two years and then doubles only or pumps and doubles only. If I ban pumps I suspect most of them will never be shot again. So next year I expect 80:20 O/U but in three years it may be all doubles SXS only. For those without a double I have extras to lend out the first few years. I have two months to figure it out but think SxS will win out in the end. For those who do not like my rules they can always find somewhere else to hunt or learn to shoot doubles.