September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, dogon, trw999, MattH, buckstix, 1 invisible), 471 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,843
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot about every weekend with a group of guys who shoot vintage doubles. One guy shoots an auto and sometimes another shoots an over and under.
I shoot my side by sides about 50% of the time and my P gun the rest.
Always interesting to see what shows up, Purdeys, Bosses, a Woodward or another top maker.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found sxs "cliques" both places I've lived recently. But overall, while the guns aren't all that popular, I find myself shooting targets with other sxs lovers, and much more likely to hunt with other guys who shoot sxs. Finding them in gunshops . . . if it weren't for Mark Beasland just down the road, my economic situation would be far better! And if Mark doesn't have something I want, then it's either a case of finding my latest desire at a local sxs shoot (if not the Great Northern--if you can't find it there, you're not looking hard enough!)--or one of my sxs buddies has something I want, and guns and money change hands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a field for doves that has become a yearly extended family and closest friend shoot. Last year it was split even O/U and Autos with a few pumps and a few doubles. It is my field so I make the rules. And rules have changed to improve safety, protect the birds from burnout and get people out of the meat hunting mentality.

Ten years ago all beer and other adult beverages were banned until after all shooting was done and I thought this was going to cause a riot. Six years ago shooters were limited to two boxes of shells. Those needing more had to exit the field and get one more box of shells at a time. This was done to stop people from shooting excessive number of shells. It worked. Five years ago shooting time was changed to 3:00 start. No need to shoot three extra hours and this lets a lot of birds feed before shooting started. Result was more birds for another day.

If you bring a pump or auto there is a strict two shell limit in the gun. I started this four years ago and swear there has been a dramatic reduction in dove fever and sky busting. Shooters are much more deliberate when you restrict them to two shells verses three. Maybe it is a mental thing.

I have been thinking about changing the rules again to O/U and doubles only or doubles and pumps only for all adults the next two years and then doubles only or pumps and doubles only. If I ban pumps I suspect most of them will never be shot again. So next year I expect 80:20 O/U but in three years it may be all doubles SXS only. For those without a double I have extras to lend out the first few years. I have two months to figure it out but think SxS will win out in the end. For those who do not like my rules they can always find somewhere else to hunt or learn to shoot doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At the local clubs the Citori O/U's are king. After that the Benelli autos are popular. I can be shooting a 120 year old British sidelock at the local clubs and they look down their noses at me.

One fellow made fun of my "Elmer Fudd gun". I beat him and the rest of the guys on the squad.

Another commented the engraving on my British gun was pretty good
"for something that old". I saved my breath and didn't explain that his gun had rolled engraving.

The Eastern Shore of Maryland is even worse. I'm retiring there so it should be interesting. Maybe near Easton or St. Michaels I can find some kindred spirits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never see'em around South GA dove fields or duck hunts, well except for the one in my hands. Mostly automatics, very rare to see a pumpgun. Kick'em up quail guys like to see who can spend the most on o/u Berettas...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the group you are shooting with isn't using SxS guns you need to find a better class of people to shoot with (I'll make exceptions for Winchester Model 12 pumps & Boss & Woodward O/U guns).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotguns are not popular where I live. In Wyoming rifles are king.
I own mostly SxS's and shoot them exclusively for upland birds. Before steel shot, I shot a SxS for waterfowl, but now I shoot a Beretta SA for ducks and geese.

SxSs are used by 4 of my hunting buddies and two others use O/Us and one guy uses a trap gun with extended chokes. My two go to guns are a 28 Ga. two barrels set Parker DHE repro and a 16 Ga. #2 AyA.
To own a good SxS may be related to expendable income because in order to buy a good SxS you must spend more than a you would for a good SA or pump, a lot more.
Ooops, I forgot about Turkey built SxSs and some may be okay for hunting.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes I think I and and a friend in the North part of Mississippi are the only ones who shoot a sxs regularly. I know that isn't true, but it isn't far off. Seems I always hear a mumbled "hey, did you see that guy with the "dubb'l bar'l"?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few weeks ago I was attempting to finish my Britt steady to wing, shot and fall and I guy asked me. "How old is double barrel?" I purchased my #2 AyA new in 2006 and told him it was 8 years old. He said, " I didn't know that they still made them."

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll echo what JohnfromUK says. It seems to me that a whole new generation is emerging in England that have only ever used single trigger over/unders. Side by sides seems to sell less and less than even a few years ago. It definitely is a buyer's market for SxS's at the moment. I call in one fairly large gunshop from time to time and all they have are rows of Berettas and Brownings. If they take side by side in on trade they can't seem to want to part with it fast enough; I guess it spoils the line up. So, by having a look in I have picked up some real bargains there. Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.