September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (earlyriser, Perry M. Kissam, Birdog, LGF, 2 invisible), 227 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,924
Posts550,768
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lloyd3 #371314 07/03/14 05:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Within this discussion there has been much said about the pattern percentage improvements with "modern" cartridges. This was apparently the gist of the article by MM (haven't read it).

My question is, who has measured the implied differences? And if so how significant are they?

From memory Andrew Jones reckoned that a plastic cup wad delayed the opening up of the pattern by about two yards; which isn't very significant. A BASC study some time back comparing "modern" fibre wad shells to"modern" monowads with the same shot load found no difference at all. The variation from shot to shot was much greater than people imagine, certainly more than two yards worth. Does anyone have any numbers?

On the general premise of open chokes for hunting JEM Ruffer recommended true cylinder and Brit No 7 shot for all game shooting. I don't think he was much of a wood pigeon shooter, cool when I tried it I put a lot of birds into the bag, but no more than any other combination and as has been said I needed (and had) a good dog. Changing up to quarter choke and No 6 made a significant improvement in birds clean killed. This was over a number of seasons and some thousands of pigeon.

The lesson drawn was the same as others have stated; that the nature of the quarry trumps all theory.

Eug

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Lloyd3 #371315 07/03/14 05:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Stan
Thank you for sharing your bird season hunting routine.
It sounds like you are enjoying your retirement properly. Hope I'm fortunate enough to do the same in a few years.

Obviously with a 410 a tight choke in required.
In fact I'd say that the choke selection in your game guns are"just right", for you.

Best wishes,

Vernal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
If a writer is any good at his game--and the late Mr. McIntosh was better than most--he knows his audience. If I recall correctly--and I'm pretty sure I do--there used to be a specific column in Shooting Sportsman aimed at target shooters. That wasn't McIntosh's column. His was simply "Shooting". And in the article referenced, while he didn't write--maybe emphasizing in bold type--"CLAY SHOOTERS, PLEASE DISREGARD EVERYTHING CONTAINED HEREIN", he did make it pretty clear (by scarcely mentioning targets) that the column was aimed at upland hunters. As in: "For upland hunters, choke now is more bane than boon."

If one excludes doves, which are shot more like waterfowl than they are upland birds (over dogs), the most popular species in this country are pheasants, ruffed grouse (mixed with woodcock in the eastern half of the country), and bobwhites. On all of those, your average upland hunter, choosing his loads well, can kill plenty of birds with no choke at all. Having lived in Iowa when it was the #1 pheasant state in the nation, I had a chance to hunt them frequently. I seldom killed a rooster--or even took a shot at one--beyond 35 yards. I'd say I hit probably 80-90% of them inside 25 yards--at which range cylinder performs pretty much like full does at 40 yards (70% patterns).

McIntosh also understood--having coached a lot of shooters and participated in a lot of hunts (like those sponsored by Shooting Sportsman) with a pretty broad cross-section of hunters--that most are not very good shots beyond about 30 yards. And inside that distance, a gun with no choke has two clear advantages: the additional pattern spread compensates for aiming error; and the wide open pattern lessens the possibility of blowing a centered bird to pieces.

He specifically excludes turkey hunters and "crack long-range wildfowlers". Perhaps he should have also excluded the guys who are aces at trap and sporting clays. But not having addressed target shooting AT ALL in the article, I would have thought that would have been clear to readers.

But you can't please everyone with everything you write, which is something I learned myself pretty quickly when I started writing for various magazines.

Great post Mr. Brown
MM gets accused of just being a writer with no clue as to what he's doing, like Mr. Hoggson intimated.
McIntosh would shoot up to 20,000 shells per year at clay targets in his younger years and probably that much later in life at live birds. And coached hundreds of novice students and studied every aspect of the sport. I'd say that's enough experience for him to know what he was writing about.

Also, Do you think he saw just a few guys show up at a lesson, or attend one of those bird hunting excursions with a full choked model 12 or Parker and struggle to hit anything? It is likely that those shooters were his intended audience, not an experienced gunner who is adept at killing birds with a full choked 410. That is a rare level of skill not shared by many who take to the dove fields on September 1.

Vernal Pike

Last edited by Vernal Pike; 07/03/14 06:31 AM.
Lloyd3 #371319 07/03/14 06:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

And to you as well, Vernal. One minor correction, tho'. I ain't retired yet. I still work everyday. I do take a long weekend occasionally to go to a sporting clays tournament. We're taking the Fourth and the rest of this weekend off, and I'm gonna shoot some clays to get ready for a tournament next weekend.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Lloyd3 #371320 07/03/14 06:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to mess with this thread; but re-reading this thread this morning I see where I said Michael Murphy when I meant McIntosh! Oh, Wow......I am getting fuzzy! This has been a most interesting thread with some really good opinions.
Again, I am sorry for using the wrong name in my first comment, and to think, McIntosh's writings have been read by me extensively.
Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle
Lloyd3 #371321 07/03/14 07:10 AM
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wondering if Fox had this choke thing figured out well over a hundred years ago. The early The "standard" chokes for a Sterlingworth Brush were cylinder and modified. Someone figured out even back then with no shot cups that no choke was needed for hunting upland birds in that first barrel. Believe all the "Brush" models came with 26" barrels.

foxes rule
Lloyd3 #371346 07/03/14 09:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking again at the McIntosh article, I don't think his first sentence (assuming the reference is to the "Choke" section of the piece) was an attempt to stir the pot at all. Rather, it was in anticipation of the strong reaction he'd get from those who didn't agree with him. And we can see in this discussion that there's no shortage of people who disagree when it comes to straight cylinder.

But if you're mainly a duck and dove hunter, you're not his target audience anyhow. Pheasant, grouse and woodcock, quail . . . I've already addressed pheasants--which, at least in my experience, require less choke (and, for that matter, lighter loads) than most people use. A lot of people go to South Dakota and end up hunting the birds in very large groups. Group hunts tend to make for longer shots than if it's just a couple of hunters following a good dog or two.

Grouse and woodcock: I doubt anyone who's hunted doodles much would disagree with cylinder for them. But Steve Smith, in an excellent little book called "The Whispering Wings of Autumn", which he and the late Gene Hill did for the Ruffed Grouse Society, refers to the average distance at which he shot woodcock over several seasons: 13 yards for first barrel kills, 19 yards for second barrels. Smith hunts grouse mostly in Michigan. Veteran outdoor writer Nick Sisley hunts them mostly in Pennsylvania--thus covering the two major regions of the country where ruffs are hunted. Smith's average distance to grouse: 22 yards first barrel, 28 yards second. Sisley, reporting on a season in which he bagged 33 grouse while shooting 78% (which he admits was unusual!) gave his average kill distance at 23 yards. That was with a Franchi AL-48 20ga auto with the barrel cut off to remove all choke. Those distances line up well with the range at which we break skeet targets, which should not come as a surprise when we recall that skeet was a game invented as off-season practice by William Harnden Foster and some of his grouse hunting friends.

Quail . . . it's been too long since I've encountered good numbers of wild birds. But I did have a couple good trips to TX, back before the weather went to heck and their birds crashed. While I didn't measure the distance to dead birds, I'd be surprised if I killed many any farther away than 25 yards.

So while not all of us can live without choke for all of our upland hunting, I think quite a few of us can. The Fox Sterlingworth 20ga I plan to use for grouse and woodcock is already quite open, choked close to skeet 1 and 2. And I'll use spreaders in the right barrel to open it even more. Early grouse and woodcock are typically "shoot close or not at all" because they're quickly out of sight in the heavy leaf canopy, and--liking to eat both--I don't want to blow them to pieces.

Lloyd3 #371352 07/03/14 10:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is still plenty of shot in the center of a 25 yard cylinder pattern to blow a bird apart.

For me, shooting a two trigger double, cylinder and mod, will do for quail, pheasant, huns, sharptails, and dove.

Gough Thomas / GT Garwood wrote that the plastic shotcup and plastic wad, compared to fiber wad system, had the effect of tightening "one degree of choke" in the tighter chokes. I took that to mean in the English system of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 4/4 chokes that it would make 3/4 choke shoot 4/4 and 1/2 choke shoot like 3/4 and 1/4th choke shoot like 1/2. I have assumed that 4/4 is about 40/1000ths of choke.

The most fun I had shooting decoyed dove last year was with Parker Repro 28ga with 30/1000 and 38/1000 chokes. But I would have been more effective with cylinder and mod.

I have never hunted roughed grouse or woodcock.

When hunting wild pheasant with my Brittanys I would be perfectly happy with cylinder and mod even though the wily bastards will sometimes flush at 40 yards as I am walking up to the point.

For NSTRA field trials I prefer cylinder and mod.

Even though they aren't I consider skeet and cylinder equivilent.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

?? "Happy with cylinder and modified, wily bastards sometimes flush at forty yards??" What range do you normally shoot those forty yard flushes with your cylinder barrel?

Lloyd3 #371367 07/03/14 12:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love this semi-friendly discussion. . It is probably the longest running debate in the history of firearms. By my reckoning it began around 1875, which means its going on 140 years with no consensus yet! I think the Brits came to the most logical compromise--often one barrel was cylinder and the other full. Offered a little something for everyone. I guess you could average the two and say "well, on the whole it's modified."

John McCain is my war hero.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.