September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, buckstix, azgreg, 375whelenIMP, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,879
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most muzzle loaders were cylinder bored thus not apt to find the
NON POUR BALLE stamp regardless of when made. Firing ball was a common practise & the NON POUR BALLE mark came in practise as choke boring became common in breech loaders. With a muzzle loader if the ball could be loaded through the muzzle it could be fired, thus little need for the mark on a ML'er. A solid ball could be fired safely through a choked breech loader if a size of ball was selected which would pass through the choke but a bore size ball was apt to "Lift the Choke".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus

By the way, nice part of the world you live in. I have been lucky to visit Williamsburg on two separate occasions. Loved the place. Lagopus.....

Glad you enjoyed your visits. Hope you had a chance to visit Historic Jamestowne and Jamestown Settlement while y0u were here.

My wife and I did a 14-day coach tour of the British Isles and Ireland in May 24 - June 7 that we really enjoyed. Hope to get back again someday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, did Jamestown too. Soon after visiting there I was walking around the fields near home and came across a James I silver sixpence dated 1609. It is in good condition to say that it had remained buried in the soil and ploughed over many times for four hundred years. If I ever get back to Jamestown I will see if they want it for their museum there as it is contemporary even if not found on site.

I hope that you enjoyed England and the rest of Britain as much as I enjoyed the trip to the U.S.A. I recall being in Ballater, Scotland which is close to the Queen's house at Balmoral. She was doing a walkabout to re-open a bridge there when a coach load of American tourists rolled up by chance. I think it made their entire trip as it was such an impromptu moment. It's good to travel and experience other places. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
The gun actually could be much later. The Belgian trade was producing all manner of percussion singles and doubles for their colonial trade, and A.F. Stoeger was selling them up the WW-II time frame.

The Belgians produced these muzzle loaders for the "Africa trade" with their colony in the congo. They also sold quit a few as trade items in South America.

The photo is circa 1936....

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The side plates on those later guns are a different design than on my gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did a little more research on line, and I think the initials VC followed by a serial number on great granddad's gun (see above) indicates his Belgium gun was made by Victor Collette. The following photo of a SxS hammer gun with a similar VC and number was found on: http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artisans%20identifies%20c/a%20colette%20gb.htm

According to the web site the "mark V. COLETTE BREVETE, it acts of Victor COLETTE manufacturer of weapons quay Saint Léonard, 60 in LIEGE which was registered with the proofhouse of Liège of 1836 to 1909."

According to this list of proof marks, starting in 1893, the ring containing E over LG and a star had a crown on top of the ring. So, based on this information I think that great granddad's gun was likely made prior to 1909 and possibly prior to 1893.
http://shotguns.se/html/belgium.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not relevant to your gun, but this ad was in the 1959 American Rifleman and Golden States Arms was still offering percussion MLs

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.