September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (L. Brown, tanky, Southern Sport, Perry M. Kissam, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 217 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,857
Posts550,061
Members14,452
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

just my opinion but I love NIDs, As a duck hunter who uses doubles they are strong and in my opinion look much nicer than a Browning BSS or a Winchester 21.
As for build quality and strength the NID beats a model 21 too, I dont see NIDs with barrel hangers falling off of loose ribs or with flaking blue (common on the 21's) and John Olin went to Ithaca for the 3 1/2" 10 gauge not his own company. That says a lot, at least to me.
I love my big 10 and my 12 as well.
If all you guys were buying them I wouldn't be able to afford them, so thank you

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
OT with a grin: this talk of "rainy day" guns. What are members saving the other guns for?

Bluebird days, King, bluebird days!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
John Olin went to Ithaca for the 3 1/2" 10 gauge not his own company.

The Western Cartridge Co.'s 3 1/2 inch Magnum-Ten gauge shell and the Magnum-framed Ithaca NID to handle it were well under development before the Olins bought the defunct Winchester Repeating Arms Co.

The deal for Western Cartridge Co. to buy Winchester Repeating Arms Co. was made on December 22, 1931, but wasn't really concluded until the Haskins & Sells auditor's report dated 20 February 1932.

The Western Super-X 10-gauge 3 1/2 inch Magnum shell first appears in the Western Ammunition for Rifle, Revolver and Shotgun booklet dated April 1, 1932, and the Magnum-Ten NID first appears in the second printing of Ithaca Gun Co.'s 1932 catalogue --

wherein they misstate that the Chas. Askins Magnum-Ten is a No. 5E when in fact it was really a No. 4E.

Last edited by Researcher; 08/14/14 07:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: King Brown
OT with a grin: this talk of "rainy day" guns. What are members saving the other guns for?

Bluebird days, King, bluebird days!

I knew the Canadians and Yankees hunted snipe, woodcock, and other peculiar stuff but this is the first I ever heard of y'all hunting blue birds!

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Haha Mike, it's the day, not the quarry.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am fully aware of the saying that Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder. To each his own & whichever any individual thinks looks the best, IS the best looking to that individual. But to say there is no difference in the appearance (Esthetics) between a NID & an Elsie is about like saying there's no difference in appearance between Twiggy & Mom's Mabley.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There were some issues with the early big tens. Was it Askins' gun that had the annoying habit of popping open on firing??

Jack O'Connor contributed to the misinformation that Ithacas were less expensive than the other "classic" American doubles. Although he liked Ithacas, he wrote in his "Shotgun Book": "However, the Ithaca sold for about half what the other companies got for a corresponding grade." That was pretty much true if the "other company" in question happened to be Parker. But Ithaca, LC Smith, and Fox prices were all quite close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I am fully aware of the saying that Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder. To each his own & whichever any individual thinks looks the best, IS the best looking to that individual. But to say there is no difference in the appearance (Esthetics) between a NID & an Elsie is about like saying there's no difference in appearance between Twiggy & Mom's Mabley.

Mom's Mabley? Pipes, you're showing your age. Guess I showed mine by laughing and remembering her also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary Cooper and Clark Gable shot Parkers. Bogie shot a 20 gauge LC Smith- Wonder if Charlie Chaplin ever bird hunted? With an Ithaca NID doublegun? If so- the remake- "The Kid and his NID"??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

What exactly is NID an abbreviation for?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.