September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Argo44, buckstix, azgreg, 375whelenIMP, 2 invisible), 422 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,879
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very interesting. From the Shotgun World link you posted earlier and comments above, the diamond with 16 over C indicates this Modified Diana was made between 1898 and 1924. Therefore it is probably the Model 46542 or the Model 862. If it is proofed for smokeless powder the Lion over PV (or over Sch? or EV?) should be there.

I can measure the bore ID with my 10" long Skeets bore gage and OD with a micrometer to get the barrel wall thicknesses. What is considered a "safe" minimum thickness?

I know a number of folks on the 16ga.com site shoot guns with Damascus barrels. However, what is the difference between Pieper's so-called laminated steel (twist steel?) barrels and Damascus? Are steel twist barrels inherently less strong?

Last edited by BarkeyVA; 08/19/14 09:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This will help
http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/thickness.html

but the OD - ID doesn't work very well for wall thickness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BarkeyVA
Again, it appears to be in good condition with no pitting in the bores. Tight lock up and the barrels ring like church barrels. Some dings on the wood but no cracks. Checkering is sharp. Good finish and no rust on the barrels and there is a still a little color on the side plates.

I realize value is in the eyes of the beholder and is dictated by what a buyer wants to pay and the seller is willing to accept.

So, that said, what would one expect to pay for an early 1900's 16 ga. Pieper sxs hammer gun with laminated steel barrels in good condition?

The real question is what is it worth to you? I own various Pieper guns. You can be pretty sure you will find a problem. These were were not safe queens. They were often hunted hard.

$600 is not bad for a Pieper in working condition.

I know you have other questions. Keep asking, it is the only way to learn.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I haven't seen that sidelock before. If it's yours...nice!

Nice anyway, in fact.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete, your Pieper is really nice! It is in much better condition than the one I'm looking at. What type of barrels are on your gun? Do you shoot or hunt with it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, that is my gun.

The barrels are fluid steel. Most likely Seiman's steel given when it was made.

I shoot / hunt with almost all my guns, including these two.
In my older guns, I use RST shells.

The sidekock is a 12ga. The hammer gun is 28ga.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Unless I have some assurance that I can shoot this Pieper that has laminated steel (twist?) barrels, I am very hesitant to make an offer on it.

Based on the Montgomery Ward ads posted by Drew, if it has the lion over PV stamp and the wall thickness is within the acceptable range (no pitting) can I reasonably assume it probably safe to shoot using RST shells?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BarkeyVA
Unless I have some assurance that I can shoot this Pieper that has laminated steel (twist?) barrels, I am very hesitant to make an offer on it.

Based on the Montgomery Ward ads posted by Drew, if it has the lion over PV stamp and the wall thickness is within the acceptable range (no pitting) can I reasonably assume it probably safe to shoot using RST shells?

It's simple. Get it checked by a competent gunsmith. Make the sale conditional on a positive assessment. No one here can tell you if it's safe. And if there is a problem, it won't be because they are twist barrels. It will be because of pitting or excessive honing. That would be true on twist, Damascus or fluid steel.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

$600 might make a good downpayment on mine.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice! Looks like steel barrels. When was it made?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.