I have always found French firearms very interesting. I purchased a French shotgun several months ago and would like to see what information anyone has regarding French shotguns and invite anyone who shares this interest or who owns a French shotgun join in the discussion. Please post photos of your guns and share or seek information about your shotgun. As long as the shotgun is French please consider nothing off topic here!

I'll get the ball rolling with what will most likely win the award for lowest grade (sans-culottes for you Francophiles) shotgun under discussion. The 16ga shotgun pictured below was manufactured by MAC (Manufacture de Armes Chatterault ). I believe this to be a government owned arsenal, more famous for the manufacture of machine guns than for manufacture of sporting weapons. It appears to be a rather standard A&D box lock with a few twists (it does have the third lock up on the extended rib and some side screws over the pin that are prone to shooting lose). Previous responses I have obtained indicated that the Paris proof was rather unusual for a sporting arm and that this shotgun was “double proofed”.

In addition to the MAC manufacture, the prominent serial number on the butt stock would appear consistent with government issue as is the total lack of adornment (I have seen other French shotguns with serial numbers on the butt stock). The shotgun is very light, however, the construction very robust (save for the firing pin that broke on my example) and the trigger pulls are rather heavy. The overall appearance of the shotgun leads me to believe it is of pre-war vintage and may have been a war prize, however, I would not be overly surprised to learn it was made later.

Any information anyone has on this particular shotgun, year of manufacture, use and etc. would be most welcome and anyone seeking or having information, including photos of any (or all) of their French shotguns would likewise be most welcome.