The Star marks are most definitely Charlin, and, from time to time, Charlins turn up that are triple proofed-case in point.

Since Charlin was in business a good part of a century, under three owners that I can document (there may have been more) examination of three specimens doesn't really tell one much. I'd guess I've handled and photographed maybe 100, and will confess to rank amatuer status, nothing more.

I've seen the running bunnies (they are not mentioned in any of the catalogs I have on hand, all pre Darne, by the way) and a different code, using letters and numbers, that I've had no success in cracking. I owned one marked LC-1, (with stars) and never found out where it fit into the picture, other than it was a low grade gun. I've also seen a Charlin with a hollow, ventilated rib, a stainless steel Charlin, and a catalog of what can only be called "art deco", and "Celtic" engraved Charlins, which, I have (frustratingly) never seen an example of.

They tried hard, anyway. They still failed.

If someone was interested in documenting French civilian firearms, they are about 70 years and a world war too late.
It is possible that there are manufacturers that NO information exists about at this juncture, or, the information hasn't come to light. With the passing years, that light grows more dim. The Nazi occupation at St. Etienne was not a kind one, and much of the information that wasn't discarded by the occupiers was destroyed by the French resistance, in the hope of confusion.

When I was last in St. Etienne, I asked the Bruchets about 10 gauge Darnes-they had never heard of, worked on, or seen an example. I had seen two at that point. I asked about sliding breech guns built on the 1894 R patent, proofed in St. Etienne, and marked Abeille (means honeybee, I think) which I had brought photos of-never seen one. And, it didn't get much more than a shoulder shrug.

The gunmakers passion, in this case, is not guns, at least not those not of his own making. Further, their hobby's are not gun related, as in shooting or hunting. They didn't have an interest in the history, that I could tell.

Sorry, but, lots of times, the only evidence, is the gun in hand. Until such time that someone can scour every library, and sift through the remaining paperwork from long gone manufacturers, and interview anyone who is left, in France, that is likely the way it will stay. And, don't bother with the library in Lyon-they have almost nothing. I tried.

Best,
Ted