June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, Jimmy W, Der Ami, Hoot4570), 328 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,052
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

When it comes to second-hand firearms in particular, the rule in this country is pretty much "caveat emptor". If you buy from a gun dealer, some of them are very good about standing behind what they sell. And most would certainly be careful about not selling something that's likely to do damage to the new owner. But if you buy from a private party, the best practice is to take the gun to a knowledgeable gunsmith before you complete the transaction. If not, take it to one afterwards if you have any doubts concerning whether the gun is safe to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The other issue is that the seller here has no control over what sort of roman candles the purchaser may stuff in his newly acquired gun. After Guy Fawkes got a barrel of black powder there might have been some restrictions on reloading and components in England?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew firstly I must say that I am not the greatest exponent of reloading but I did give it a try some time back but I personally found myself thinking I would rather be doing anything but this reloading chore. I am sure that things have not changed here in Brit land since then so primers wads and Nitro propellants are all available for the home re-loader on production of that all-important Shotgun Certificate.
Now Black Powder is another animal entirely enter that process Brit bureaucracy does extremely well possibly because of Guy Fawkes and his barrel of Gunpowder who is fondly remembered by us Brits on the eve of November 5th. To purchase a pound or two of Gunpowder for sporting use so out come the hoops for the poor unfortunate would be user to jump through, so now you require a licence to purchase a licence to transport and an inspection of where the powder is to be stored which in my view made shooting Black powder one hoop jump to far. Though surprisingly British bureaucracy can be rather out of touch with reality, during months leading up to November the 5th retail outlets and supermarkets only need a retailers licence to store and sell Fireworks to the public which as we all know contain Gunpowder and their stock levels over the country must amount to tons of the stuff not to mention the amounts in fireworks kept in private homes over the November period.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over Here we shoot fireworks on the 4th of July. Umm wonder why we do that & Ya'll don't.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Possibly for the same reason another country celebrates January 27th and you dont!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

For clarification, auction houses and dealers publish minimum wall thickness. So, the walls might measure over 30-40 thou in most areas but if there is a raised dent that has been cleaned out and a thin spot of 19 thou, the measurement given will be 19 thou.

Regarding the 7 thou proof pass. The gun was in an auction and was delivered asa n out of proof gun. It was cleaned up and re-proofed to make it legal to sell in tact.

Wall reduction tends to be either incremental as a result of lapping the entire bore to remove pits or spot located, where a dent has been removed or a bulge knocked back. The section behind the chokes going back for about 10 inches is the place where barrels are thinnest.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.