September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (azgreg, CJ Dawe, Der Ami, Argo44, Birdog, 1 invisible), 261 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,884
Posts550,433
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

They're not art, they're a craft.

Art is about individual expression, and very few shotguns were/are built with this in mind.

Most were/are built to a pattern or style established by the firm making them. The folks making the guns adhered to this pattern or style.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

obsessed: you do have a point there. but, collectively, i still consider them to be an art form.

maybe this is more of an american art form:

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-...lock-rifle.aspx

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

When dealing with vintage/antique guns, one often hears the term "lost art form", especially when talking about damascus barrels. To me a gun that is a "work of art" would be a hand made gun that was custom ordered with engraving specified by the person ordering.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I don't want to diminish the craft component, because it's critical, but art is a very big part of why these guns are so admired and cherished. Fine guns are largely defined by their artistic execution. Why else is a Boss or a Woodward, or even certain Parkers or Lefevers so expensive? An 870 would arguably do the same job, so why the difference in price? You're paying for the art.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/17/14 12:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
obsessed: you do have a point there. but, collectively, i still consider them to be an art form....

Looking back at the subject gun, something might catch the eye to separate the special ones from the standard pattern gun. What do you think of that big hunk of sapwood at the butt of the stock. Specially selected for artist purposes, or expedient.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think the execution is artistic, though.

You can go through a batch of Purdeys from the '20s and see that they're pretty much the same. Same with Woodwards. Bosses are more idiosyncratic, but you really have to know what you're looking at the see what sets one apart from the other.

The guys who made the guns were executing a pattern, not their personal idea of what the perfect gun should be. Some executions were better than others, and that came down to the skill of the craftsmen involved.

I think the biggest driver in the American market is sentimentality. I love Lefevers, Foxes, etc, but there's no way they're better than top British guns. The quality just isn't there. But top American stuff brings bigger bucks.

There's nothing wrong with craft, but rarely is it art.

Fun to think about...

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got curious & looked Art up in my dictionary. To my way of thinking quality engraving & fine sculpting of the higher grade guns definitely fit the definition of "Art".
Just me I guess, but I had an 870 "Once" & it didn't do the job for me of even an entry level Double. being able to load a few extra shells came at too high a price for me. My Lefevers are certainly "Artistic" compared to that 870, in fact even so was my first double, a J Stevens Arms & Tool Company. In fact i wish I had that old J Stevens back but one would have to pay me to take an 870. Yes @ 76 I think I am quite old enough to be highly opinionated.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"They're not art, they're a craft.

Art is about individual expression, and very few shotguns were/are built with this in mind."

This is an interesting perspective but it doesn't hold a lot of water. Let's assume Van Gogh is an artist expressing himself individually. Fair enough. What about a musician in a band? Is he an artist? He's really not expressing himself as an individual but rather as part of a group of people. Same goes for a dancer in a ballet. But we call those performing arts, still.

The funny thing about art is that the more useless it is, the more 'Art' it is. A painting is useless (unless you have a hole in the wall that needs covering) but it's the highest from of art there is. A shotgun actually does something but it is barely art, if at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know. You make a good point...but...

I think most creative professionals are practicing a craft at a high level - some at a higher level than others. Some of these people reach the level of art, but most don't.

I'm a writer and I've earned a living at it for over 20 years. I've written all sorts of stuff and my work has appeared at pretty high levels - national mags, broadcast TV, etc. I don't think of any of this work as art, though.

For me, writing is a craft, and being good at it takes practice and dedication. Same with being a good musician or dancer. Mostly craft, sometimes art; mostly sweat, sometimes inspiration.

Like I said, it is a fun topic to think about. I don't think there's a real "answer".

Here's an interesting presentation on it if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdw60eCnJI

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 10/18/14 03:55 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't take a Remington 870 if it was given to me. But I sure wish I had walked into that gun store before Lloyd did to grab up his Model 31.

Now that is a work of art!!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.