June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ploughjogger, azgreg, eeb, SKB, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,628
Posts547,144
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Robert Chambers
"Whether Chevillard did anything at all to the gun, other than sell it, is questionable."

Well said...I also believe that's the way the French gun trade worked, but it would be hard to back to back my words if someone asked me to substantiate my views, especially when the ARQB title is present. If I had to wager, I would say DR played more of a role as arqb than did Chevillard.

Here are a few more and better quality photos of it. So just who was DR? That has alway been a mystery.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, thank you. I hope readers will click on your "Gastinne Renette" site and see the info there. Neat gun you have with two colors of gold in the monogram. Can you tell us about the proofmarks as I am away from my references. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

The gun is for sale in a French website. 16/65 and the owner says it is not fit for
shooting as the barrels are pitted. He sent me the photos.

Littlegun in Belgium once again provides excellent information.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK here is the first of the Verney Carron slider info, although there are several others, I think this will erase any doubts the Verney contributed to the evolution of todays modern sliding breech shotgun. In 1925 Verney was granted an English patent for his improvements in the sliding breech lock up. GB283928. In 1928, another patent was issued, but for the double button lock up as found on the Stopvis (GB306649) which clearly states it is for single and double barrels. Then in 1930 Verney was back to the traditional top key when he was granted a patent in Germany (DE492485), besides any patents that were issued in France and Belgium. I've seen a Verney Carron darne type, but never a Stopvis double, but no doubt some were made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

". . . one or more rotating locking heads"; hmmm. What is the piston-like object protruding from the "breech face" of the Stopvis and described in the Verney/Massard patent, Robt.? Is it a rotating bolt head as in a rifle or a Benelli Nova? I guess you weren't kidding about having the "paper". Made a believer out of me!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting stuff, thanks to all.

JC my Roblin has 2 interesting traits that are on the hammer gun you posted. The forend is connected and the Crest is 2 tone gold.

Thanks again to all,
Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While we are on the subject of Verney Carron guns here is one Iā€™ve owned for a couple of years, 12ga w/ejectors, very light , 6lb, 3oz, a small amount of nicely done engraving, decent wood and quality workmanship.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I'm pretty sure four palms was the old pre 1923 superior proof with black powder. My dog ate my copy of Wernsberger, but, it is in there...

Kennett says 4 palms are "Double proof (black powder) of semi-finished barrels at 20,500 psi, until 1924. Presently (1970) called triple proof at 18,000 psi."

Alan at Little Gun
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20francaise/artisans%20c%20d/a%20darne%20gb.htm
4 palms = 30 grams Black powder, 180 grams of #8 shot, 1720 kg/cmĀ²

Some really interesting Darne pictures on that Little Gun page by the way.

Originally Posted By: Robert Chambers
Those are Belgian doubles that were marketed in France, like the L'Abielle line. There were some exceptions. I'm not sure what year France and Belgium separated but I'm sure the border was imaginary in the minds of some.

1794 Low Countries and Liege conquered by the French
1815 Belgium part of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands
1830 Belgian Revolution
1831 installation of Leopold I as king
1839 independence recognized by the Treaty of London

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, I'm pretty sure V-C makes their own barrels now, or at least that's what their catalog indicates. Not sure that's always been the case.

Interesting stuff on the V-C sliding breech gun.

DR was likely the actioner of your gun, DT--although the initials don't ring any bells with me.

James, looks like your gun started life as 2 1/2" and was at some point lengthened to 2 3/4".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Pete...AND.. thank you for redirecting me to the French Identified Craftsmen page...I just noticed that an ID question that was sent out to all the members of "Friends of the Liege Museum" several years ago, regarding a Berthon Freres O/U, wound up posting the reference material that I submitted. French makers are not my strong suit, but the info passed the scrutiny of the other board members. Believe me, they are not keen on some American telling them of their own history. Over the years associated with Littlegun, not one smart ass accused me of being on drugs, or wearing aluminum foil hats (like Yeti)...It should come as no suprise that fellow researchers are reluctant to post here......
So, I say THANK YOU to Mr.Brown, Ted and ALL the others who let me post some French data, without becoming anything other than interested. We are not going to unravel the French gun trade here and it's doubtful that anyone will print the thread, but some will save all the digital images in their computer or on CD to be later compared to additional posted data...quickly, and without papers or file cabinets.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.