Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Pattern quality is another matter. I've always shaken my head at the notion of 'holes' in a pattern. Sure, if you're shooting a stationary target like a turkey or the one in a hundred birds that truly have no relative motion, then an observed 'patchy' pattern is a problem. But... the target sees a cloud of shot, and a moving target experiences the cloud in 3 dimensions.

The "three dimensional cloud" in a 1 1/4 load of #4 shot (that is 169 pellets) is getting pretty thin at 35 yards or so out of an improved cylinder choke. I had lots of old timers around who were of the opinion of 1 1/4 oz of 4s being the end all load for pheasant and duck hunting. I was playing a game where a load of 6s (281 pellets in a 1 1/4oz load, quite impressive on paper at 30 yards) was the first one in the pipe of the A5, was followed by a number 4 load, thinking the 4 would hit harder down range than the 6s.

That is what the old timers thought would work best. They were full of poo. The time spent patterning, in a single dimension, proved it. I don't worship in the house of the golden pellet.

Maybe you don't like the thought of it being a "hole" in the pattern, but, that is just what it is, semantics aside, at the end of the day, after that shot was missed. Sorry.

Best,
Ted

Doverham #383516 11/09/14 02:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington solved that very problem for us a few years back with their 'duplex' load.

Remember that farce?

Never mind the time of flight difference between the 4's and 6's.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Doverham #383553 11/09/14 06:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

After watching the video of George Digweed breaking clays at more than 100 yds I came to the personal decision that patterning was mostly irrelevant waste of ammo and time. I have never seen a pattern which would indicated such shots were regularly possible with lead shot. I have also experienced shots from skeet choked barrels which broke clays at 50 plus yards which reflects the central core of the patterns are pretty thick even with open chokes. So my theory is to see if the combination of gun and shell works and don't buy anymore of those which don't. I will shoot at a patterning plate for point of aim verification.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

The RST shells are their "2 1/2" load, 20 ga. 7/8 oz 7.5s at 1150fps with a plastic wad. I finally had a chance to pattern some of my reloads as a comparison. They threw 74% patterns (68-76% variation), which is significantly tighter than the RST shells. (The reloads were WinAA+Win209+15gr. Unique+CB1078+.875oz of Magnum 8s). I guess this is just another example of different guns liking different loads.

Patterning may not be a perfect science, but I would prefer to have some imperfect information than none, as long as you understand its limitations. I use the method that Oberfell&Thompson set out in their Mysteries of Shotgun Patterns (efficiency, distribution and "patchiness" based on the number of 5" gaps). In this case, I used 5 patterns because this gun is an upland game gun and I didn't need 10 patterns to figure out if the gun was close to what I had specified.

I played around with the Optimizer program Dr. A.C. Jones has on his website to determine the best pattern efficiency for what I wanted to do - in this case, the program determined that to get a 90% probability of at least 2 pellet strikes, the density had to be at least 80%. So I asked to have the chokes set at 80% for 20 and 30 yards, which should equate to something close to Cyl and Mod. Interestingly, the bottom barrel patterned at 74% with the RSTs at 20 yards, which is a bit more open than Cyl (?).

I also shot 5 POA patterns which were right on the money. I learned the hard way to NEVER shoot POI patterns if your gun shoots good POA patterns. eek

Last edited by Doverham; 11/09/14 07:54 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.