June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, Jimmy W, 4 invisible), 317 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,052
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Zincavage
I bought the Neidner Sukalle mentioned above, and happened to find the discussion here. The rifle is on the way, but has not yet arrived.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you like your new rifle and the you will become a regular contributer here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm hoping the identity of the chambering can be determined from a chamber cast which the seller is supposed to forward along with the rifle. A few months back, I bought a German single-shot stalking rifle built on a Mauser 88 action. My local gunsmith cast the chamber for me, and neither he nor I could really decide on how to interpret the casting.

Thanks, btw, for the welcome note.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 11/11/14 10:48 PM.
m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome aboard,
Rim diameter
Rim thickness
Base diameter
Shoulder diameter
Neck diameter
Bore Groove diameter
OAL Case length
Then compare against reference material such as European sporting cartridges by Dixon or post those dimensions as mentioned above and maybe we can help.

M-4

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a link to my local gunsmith's measurements (in metric, blast it!) of the chamber cast he made for me.

http://zincavage.org/BF's%20Mauser88%20Stalking%20Rifle%20chamber-casting-results.pdf

It ought logically to be chambered in either 8x57J or 8.15x46R, but ...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

David,
I couldn't get the link to the chambercast to come up. I didn't have any problem with the photos.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a more succinct url would work better. You do have the Adobe Acrobat viewer, don't you?

http://zincavage.org/chamber-casting.pdf

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent an hour this afternoon with Dixon's book and the chamber drawing. I did not find anything that (to me) would fit exactly, but some of the Peterlongo cartridges come closest. After that, maybe it is something by Collath.

You will probably be able to make cases from one of the rimmed European hunting cartridges, maybe 8x65R. The bore & groove measurements will make finding proper bullets a challenge, but bullets for a .351 Winchester Self Loading ought to work for your first experiments.

Last edited by waterman; 11/12/14 07:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I measured it myself, my figures were a little different from the gunsmith's as-converted-from-metric-into-English. (I can't find them right now, nor my calipers. <sigh>) The closest match to mine was, if I recall rightly, the .350 Westley Richards, a really esoteric and short-lived British round, which theory obviously made no sense.

I was so confused by all that that I have just left the rifle sit here, until I find a better gunsmith.

I guess I have recovered from my fit of bemusement, though, since I just bought another rifle of unknown chambering.

Sorry to put you through so much trouble.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I measured it myself, my figures were a little different from the gunsmith's as-converted-from-metric-into-English. (I can't find them right now, nor my calipers. <sigh>) The closest match to mine was, if I recall rightly, the .350 Westley Richards, a really esoteric and short-lived British round, which theory obviously made no sense.

I was so confused by all that that I have just left the rifle sit here, until I find a better gunsmith.

I guess I have recovered from my fit of bemusement, though, since I just bought another rifle of unknown chambering.

Sorry to put you through so much trouble.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.