June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, FelixD, SKB, 2 invisible), 348 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,027
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

dbadcraig,
"imbued with special powers", thats perfect. grin.
Doggdigger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly there are over the top guns with more decoration than taste. Certain guns overlaid with gold on actions, breech and barrels, usually French but also English come to mind. There are also grossly decorated guns in extremely poor taste intended to satisy purient interests. But highly figured wood and extensive nicely executed scroll engraving with bulino game scenes don't cause me a problem. I prefer not to have checkering where it lacks function and to minimize the use of gold (if any). High gloss stocks and blueing are related to the 1957 DeSoto school of grotesque art and case colors are most attractive just before they are completely rubbed away.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 05/05/07 10:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, this is my "restrained opulence" gun. Does this fit the mould of what you're talking about.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

opulence: lots of ponies
restraint: reining them in

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A gun must have a balance from butt to muzzle - too much of anything in between throws this off.
Less also!
Sorta like an RBL with fab xxx wood - there's not much to the action to tie the whole thing together, and the eye begins to wander.
I think the sidelock gun plays-out the restrained opulence best -there's a larger stage for more, or less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

It's not that opulent. The screws aren't regulated. Didn't you bring that gun to Northbrook, last year?

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doug Mann
LG, this is my "restrained opulence" gun. Does this fit the mould of what you're talking about.

Dude, why ain't I seed that one? The engraving is perfect! The tiny scroll looks so rich and dignified and the pattern so artfully done. It is my favorite type of engraving.

I dunno if it meets Sir Glenthorne's definition of "restrained opulence" or "understated elephants", but it works for me and I am not into gaudy. On the other hand, one little splash of gold would put it over the top and ruin it to my eye.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

LG, the biggest lockplate in the world got nothing on an Ithaca Flues. Now that's a wall Gully Jimpson could do something with! How ugly they are unadorned and how nice (according to jack) with some scratching and iterated fleurs de lis aft.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: philmurphy
Doug,

It's not that opulent. The screws aren't regulated. Didn't you bring that gun to Northbrook, last year?

Phil

Yes I did.

You can blame the screws on someone else. They were buggered long before I bought the gun. Some time in the next 10 years I'll try to make new ones and have them engraved, until then what you see is what you get.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it aint' Baroque, don't nix it.

jack

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.