June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (jake van dyke, steve voss, Guy Ave), 379 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,032
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Registered is the most expensive way to ship, but I like the required signature at each step of the way. I once had a ham radio I bought lost by UPS. I was processing insurance when I got a call from Lands End. The item was double boxed and the outside label disappeared when the outer box was destroyed. The item was returned to Lands End in the inner box. LE in turn contacted the original recipient as a Lands End customer. Fortunately he hadn't removed the old shipping label. The seller gave my name, phone number and address, and Lands End shipped it to me. Got lucky on that one. Put your name and address on each box even when double boxing. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

usps is best of bad lot...ups and fedex are wurst...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

The worst tracking system in USPS is the scenario where it is shipped parcel post insured. Only the insurance label is trackable. This is the one that is usually poorly tracked and lacking information.

I find that Priority mail and express mail tracking is pretty good.

Regarding post offices not accepting long guns, unfourtunately you get those that like to act on their own with no regard to what the laws are. Besides, they wouldnt know if you dont tell them. And I find that the only way they MAY ask what the contents are is if it is being insured. But that is not even a requirement of theirs.

When this happens, I always recomend that people ship on-line using their click 'n ship program. There is no one to tell you you cant ship something. you just process it and they pick it up or you drop it off. And, you get a discount on the shipping rate. A BIG one on express mail.

My local post office has told me directly, "Yes, you can ship long guns, but not hand guns".

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS is the only way I have to ship guns in my area and Thank God for them! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I always recomend that people ship on-line using their click 'n ship program."

This is the best of all options for long guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once sent a $780 USPS money order Priority Mail cross country to a pawn shop in Oregon. After 4 days the track system told me it had arrived at the sort center in the destination town. Then it fell off the radar for three weeks. Post Office had no idea where it was and would not tell me if it the money order had been cashed.

I paid via other means and after a couple of days the money order again showed upon the track system and arrived at the pawn shop. The pawn shop was very nice about it and returned the uncashed money order via first class mail. Took about three days to get to me.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11/26/14 11:58 PM.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would not have shipped this gun by USPS it was the seller choice. In fact his only option as UPS and FEDX have been an issue for him. His side of the story. It has been going on three weeks now and they have no idea of where the "package" is. Like smoke it has just gone up in air. Sure it will arrive someday. But why bother even having a tracking system that is totally worthless in the first place. No wonder first class stamps now are near fifty cents. It takes a lot of money to run a computer system that looses things in shipment with such efficiency.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How was it shipped KY Jon ? Priority ? Have you-or the seller tried going directly to the USPS to see if they can track it on their system-I have had better success with that.

I have had no issues shipping firearms USPS( and declaring them)-I have had several issues with firearms shipped to me from FeEx ,I will not use UPS as I have known several instances of non payment of insurance .

As far as declaring there is a firearm with USPS (you must with UPS- Fed Ex),its not clear.

To ship a hand gun USPS you must tell them its a hand gun and sign a 1508 form-and must be a manufacturer or "bona fide dealer"
https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf

However USPS

For those unlicensed long guns can go USPS-and there does not seem to be a requirement that you declare its a gun.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

For unlicensed-handguns must go common carrier and all firearms must be declared :

: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS is my only option for shipping long guns. Over the past 15 years I have probably shipped about 15 long guns: the occasional sale (through an FFL) to make room for new foals and the occasional shipment for service to a pro like Stu Wright, Les Hovencamp or Frank Vallone.

I ship priority mail, signature confirmation and insured for the full value.

I have never had a problem other than it once took almost ten days for a gun to get to a Texas FFL from New Jersey.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 11/27/14 08:36 PM.
lrh Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Just last week I sent a gun barrel to a smith in MA from a small town PO in IN and insured it for $400. They asked if there was an hazardous material in the cardboard tube but never asked about a gun and I didn't volunteer any info. Tracking was spot on.
Early this year I bought a watch on e*ay and the seller sent it priority mail. It took about 3 weeks to get to me and tracking was of no help. When it arrived finally I saw that it was in a plain cardboard box with priority mail written on the side in pen.
LH

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.