Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I suppose it's possible to split hairs, but a book I have entitled "Les Armes de Chasses a Canon Lisse" (Smooth Bore Hunting Guns) states that there are 3 types of stock currently being made: Pistol, semi-pistol, and English or straight. I'd describe that one as "une crosse droite (ou anglaise)",spelling and pronunciation relatively simple if you speak French.

Looking through the Darne material I have, both from Bruchet and a former American importer doing business as The Drumming Stump with which Ted is quite familiar smile seem to list only two stock options: Crosse anglaise ou demi-pistolet.

Good try, Larry, but, you are wrong. When I printed my catalogs, I didn't put the option of "Galwi", the stock with the gentle bend in it, simply because I doubted any Americans would buy it. Same with cheekpiece stocks, or "devant enveloppant", a beavertail, you could have got one from me, if you asked, but, nobody ever did.

I did catalog 24 gauge and .410 bore shotguns, nobody bought any of those, either.

The correct pronunciation is "Galbi" in either France or Belgium-a few Americans ordered that type of stock on early Superposed models. I've seen them called "perch bellies", but, that just seems so unrefined.

Here is a picture of it on my R10, even though your book says it doesn't exist.
Pretty nice wood for an R10, no?

Best,
Ted