September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Researcher, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,888
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

LG-

The wood on that drilling is actually pretty straight grained. The carving looks like it is right out of the black forest, but because the whole gun is very Germanic it all fits (I do agree the white line spacers are a bit out of place). The engraving likewise appears typical to the genre and heavy handed by all but the German standards, however, again the whole firearm is very true to the form...so while I couldn't afford it, I would be proud to own it.

I do have a clabash by the way, not very portable. When I smoke meerschaum, I smoke one of my pre-war Andres Bauer with geniune amber stems...great for windy days. I love my Dunhill, here is one of my more valuable, a cased set of very early "patents." As you know Dunhill was never known for the grain of the wood as was Charatan, but the early Dunhill were/are among the best smoking (although in this vintage they are all very small by American standards):

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appeals with my thumb over the scope which is there only as a utilitarian accessory for the rifle barrel. I believe that could be interpreted as a failure of artistic vision by some--OK, by me. Storms, shouldn't you be hitting the books or something?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny you should ask. I have my macroeconomics test in 13 hours. I have studied my a$$ off. I would be insane if I wasn't thinking about summer, fishing, the cape, and bikini clad college girls... Back to expansionary monetary policy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice set o' pipes there Storms!
My Charatans are smallish in the bowl - I have one un-smoked Special left in the lot.
How about Christmas pipes?

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 05/08/07 07:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My "pre-Republic" Peterson's are my favorites, along with McClelland's British Woods mixture. I have three calabashes, Lord knows why. Holmes never smoked one, you know; that's a Hollywood affectation. Not a daily smoker any more, but mostly always have a pipe along afield or on the stream; it just seems right. Storms, that large-shanked sandblast pipe on the left looks interesting.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Lord Lowell -

Ummmm,,, let's see now:
Pipes of Ross Seyfried;
Bells of Rhymney;
Wm. Evans of Purdey;
Epic of Gilgamesh;
Grouse of the Highlands;

I think this wood-grain thread might be getting somewhere...KBM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Storms, that large-shanked sandblast pipe on the left looks interesting.

Fin/LG-

Actually those pipes are mine! They are 1920s vintage Dunhills (and thus, the Holy Grail), and they are far smaller than the photograph.

Pre-war English pipes are smaller than their current counterparts and American pipes of the same vintage (I think because tobacco was so expensive in England in those days, and smaller pipes are far more economical to smoke). This pair would likely just make a Dunhill #2 by modern standards.

The blast is actually known as a "Shell" and the smooth finish a "Bruyere". These early Shell's like the one pictured had deep blasting that is not typically found in later versions of that finish.

I am a daily pipe smoker (one to two bowls) and smoking a pipe is like reloading (it takes a bit more skill and attention, but worth the effort). I'll not advocate the "art" of pipe smoking, as there are health risks, but as far as vices go, there are many far worse (some studies have shown that pipe smokers out live the general population). I smoke a variety of English blends.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

I recognized the Shell; I was actually referring to the one in the rack full that Storms bought. Its shape is rather like a smooth finished Dunhill I have (the only Dunhill I own, actually) with that thick shank. I'm partial to large pipes myself, but your Dunhills certainly are a fine looking pair. Funny; although Peterson's is known for curved "systems" pipes, it's the straight stemmed billiard shapes I prefer.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dbadcraig
Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Storms, that large-shanked sandblast pipe on the left looks interesting.

Fin/LG-

Actually those pipes are mine! They are 1920s vintage Dunhills (and thus, the Holy Grail), and they are far smaller than the photograph.

Pre-war English pipes are smaller than their current counterparts and American pipes of the same vintage (I think because tobacco was so expensive in England in those days, and smaller pipes are far more economical to smoke). This pair would likely just make a Dunhill #2 by modern standards.

The blast is actually known as a "Shell" and the smooth finish a "Bruyere". These early Shell's like the one pictured had deep blasting that is not typically found in later versions of that finish.

I am a daily pipe smoker (one to two bowls) and smoking a pipe is like reloading (it takes a bit more skill and attention, but worth the effort). I'll not advocate the "art" of pipe smoking, as there are health risks, but as far as vices go, there are many far worse (some studies have shown that pipe smokers out live the general population). I smoke a variety of English blends.

Doug

Care to name some of your favorites?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always liked Comoy's bulldogs.

jack

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.