September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, skeettx), 198 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,925
Posts550,795
Members14,459
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up with his catalogs. I have the Bull Cook book as well as the Professional Guide's Manual, both are a hoot. I also visited the Waseca and Iowa Falls stores. (at least I think we went to Iowa Falls, it wasn't too far from Grandma's house) I mainly bought fishing tackle from him, his flies were well made and cheap. Important things for an eleven year-old. I still have quite a few of them in the fly boxes in my vest. This was in the early 1970's, long before the movie "A River Runs Through It" came out and created the resurgence in interest about Fly Fishing. At the same time, if you received the Orvis catalog, you could still buy a split-bamboo Battenkill fly rod. My dad always wanted one (as did myself), but being a family man he had to content himself with a glass Fenwick rod. (much of his other gear was Orvis) A rod which keeps company with the various Graphite, Boron, etc. rods racked in my basement nowadays. I'm hoping for grandkids (none yet) to eventually pass them on to...

Last edited by Ken61; 12/14/14 10:08 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the 60s, a friend and I drove to the store during quarter break at Iowa State University. We were after fish hooks, you know, "special ones". At the store's entrance were some stuffed animals, including a huge , black, full mount wolf. It was awesome. Bigger than a deer. I made up my mind that I wanted to move to Alaska and get a wolf. I lived in Alaska for 30 years, but never shot a wolf and had only a couple of near chances. I do have, though, my Herter's shot shell loader, fly tying kit, several catalogs, loading manuals, and a rifle I stocked with a Herter's fiddleback walnut blank. That day I saw a Beretta double, was it a Silver Snipe ? I wanted one, but by the time I had enough money, my tastes had changed a bit. I remember , too, that near the end, Herter's catalogs were labeled Ruhr American and came from Fairbault , Minnesota.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/15/14 01:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend went to their main store several days after it suddenly closed. He said a lot of the locals were looking for George. Apparently a lot of unpaid bills

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lest we forget.......the .401 PowerMag!

http://extranosalley.com/?p=984

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, on the other end of the spectrum is the "Genuine French Canadian Crepe Suzette Pancake Mix" . Pretty good in the '60s with Fox Head beer for breakfast. I think the beer was made in Minnesota, too. About $2 per case.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/15/14 01:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Daryl:
My 1974 catalogue lists this at .93cents a pkg!
I was always a fan of Herter's famous 5 Alarm sauce.
It purportedy "would burn the lint out of the naval of people that used it!" eek grin
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, it is fun. Wasp waist sonic bullets, black African mershon pipes, bow strings made on a Montana Indian reservation, Herter's Liege stock finish, and gunstock blanks in black walnut for rifles from $7.40-40.00. Hand checkering prices for buttstocks and for ends, up to 26 lip, no borders, for $10 each. Recipes of St. James the Apostle and Ghengis Kahn. I do see they had a showroom in the early 70s in Glenwood , Minn., and mention they are connected to Waseca. I am not sure where Fairbault fit into the history.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/15/14 02:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Their French red stock filler was great and Brownell is selling it made with the same formula they claim.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget " Model Perfect" sure miss him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How did it all end? I've heard some interesting stories, but they sound pretty fantastic. Something about U.S. Fish & Wildlife fining him for old feathers in his warehouse?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.