Gun fit is something that is really hard to evaluate yourself. This is because there is a natural tendency to adjust yourself to fit the gun, treating the rib as a sight. You obviously understand this and have the right idea in closing eyes and mounting the gun - but I do feel that an experienced gun fitter is really needed to make sure you are mounting consistently - particularly being consistent between the mount used at the stationary pattern plate and on real moving targets.

A fitting session I had involved shooting about 50 clays, various shots, under the fitter's supervision/observation - no instruction, just the fitter observing how I mounted, swung, looked and shot etc.

We then moved to the pattern plate where I mounted and shot instinctively at the mark on the plate - with the fitter checking I was behaving like I did at moving targets and hadn't started using the rib like a rifle sight - and so using a slightly different technique in mounting the gun.

For normal shotgun shooting, the eyes should be watching the target all the time and the mounting of the gun should be instinctive, consistent and the swing and motion of the gun should develop as part of the mounting process. In theory when the mount is complete - the properly fitted gun will be correctly aligned at the instant the mount is completed.

The shooter shouldn't really 'see' the gun consciously at all.

Its all very hard indeed to do oneself.