June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (eeb, gil russell, SKB, Tripplebeards, Hugh Lomas), 228 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,176
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
At the risk of seeming obvious to others, may ask a question about polishing? All I have ever done is new barrels that were not stamped with any lettering. How do you polish the lettered areas without washing out the lettering? I can understand polishing up to it very carefully, but do you just leave the areas between the letters and words alone? Or is there some way to polish those tiny areas without harming the roll stamping?

SRH

Stan,

You pretty much have to stay off of the lettering except for a couple of final unidirectional passes with whatever grit you are finishing up with.

First I clean the lettering very good with a small stainless brush to clean out the letters, then detail it very carefully with a very small square of 600 grit using the eraser on a pencil as the sanding block for directional and pressure control.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, can we see a more complete gun pic of that reblued Rem. M-12?

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
Good question, Stan.

Ken those barrels are looking great. Trying to polish up a set of barrels makes the damascus work I've seen Bachelder and others put out even more amazing. The colors are obviously very nice. Consistency of the polish they achieve is a headscratcher to a noob such as myself.

For pattern-welded barrels it's not only the initial polishing before rusting, but the final polishing as well. That's where my current "learning curve" is. On previous sets everything would be excellent through the rusting and etching cycles, yet the final polishing to bring out the contrast and figure would be lacking. I'm finally getting to the point where it's happening, and I'm fairly comfortable with the process. In fact, all my barrels have not yet had the final lacquer put on them, and the temporary rust inhibitor as well as the lighting results in a slightly yellowish cast to the color. The black-white contrast will be much stronger once I'm done with them. My next step is to buy a couple of "Daylight" bulbs for my lighting fixture.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie

Jay

Jay, the light kind of washed out the pictures.......sorry...

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the question of water, is it likely that different solutions react differently to different minerals?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Doug. That helps.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that the water problem is from limestone minerals in the well water, which will leave a slight residue of calcium on the barrels when they dry after boiling. This can leave lines of calcine which will inhibit the next application of the acidic bluing solution, causing variations in the next coat. Put some of your water in a polished stainless pan, and boil it off. The chalky residue is calcium carbonate.

hippie redneck geezer
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jawjadawg
Some of the reading I have done has stated that a lower gloss finish is desired in some of the vintage American makes. That was the reason I gleaned for only polishing to 320 grit. Now I'm trying to figure out how to create a surface with no visible imperfections at such a low sanding factor. Do you polish the barrels higher up in shine and then dull them back down with something? Does the etchant help with this on damascus barrels? There's a lot to learn. I know I can polish a piece of metal to a mirror finish, but I'm not sure that's going to produce the period appropriate finish desired on certain guns.

Or do I have it all wrong regarding the 320 grit?

Jawjadawg:

**If you want the standard "American Field Grade" barrel blue finish, polish by hand to 400 grit.

**As you polish keep checking that you have removed all of the flaws/ghosts/dings/pits and other imperfections. Draw file and polish as necessary.

**As you card your barrels after each rusting application CHECK the color as it darkens. When the barrels reach the FIELD GRADE BLUE, as was typical with lower grade American Field Grade guns you merely STOP with your rusting passes,boilings and cardings.

**You will then have a re-blued set of barrels that should look like they did when they left the factory, if you did your homework on color and polished the barrels properly to the best of your ability.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie

Jay

Jay, the light kind of washed out the pictures.......sorry...

Best Regards,

Thanks Doug! I have one that was my grandfather's and then my dad's. It's in pretty rough shape, nice to see one looking as good as this. smile

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple things I keep handy at my work bench for barrel prep, prior to bluing. I buy schedule 40 PVC in various diameters, and cut it lengthwise to make two halves. I cut these about 11" long, so a sheet of sandpaper fits and just overhangs each end. Depending on the diameter of the barrel, I use an appropriate size piece with sandpaper inside, and work the barrel length in strokes a little over half the barrel length. Then turn the barrel around, and work the other half, overlapping the strokes.
For octagon barrels I have a piece of 1" thick aluminum bar stock, about 2" wide. It is also cut the same length, and I wrap sandpaper around it to work down the finish and prep for rust bluing.
Half octagon barrels I work both halves up to the transition, but when it comes to final polish, I finish the octagon first, and then do the round up to the octagon, so I remove any polishing marks on the octagon from running over on the round portion.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.