Re taste, it's been some time since I ate either snipe or rail. (Used to shoot quite a few, especially sora rail.) I've been a woodcock hunter ever since 1973. To me, the taste of all 3 birds is fairly similar. Dark meat. I like them. I always tell people that if they like liver, they'll like woodcock. Causes some people to give me their woodcock.

Back when the Classic Doubles were first announced, I went over to Guns Unlimited in Omaha to look them over. Same impression as Skip: Heavy for a 20ga. (But then so is the Parker Repro, IMO. And the BSS, especially standard grade. (And by the time you add the big beavertail on the CD, you're getting close to 7#.) Caused my interest to cool.

Ruger did provide straight grip/splinter versions of the GL that were relatively light for a 12ga . . . and then gave the gun 3" chambers. Would not have wanted to push 3" mags through one of those. I didn't like the Ruger safety/selector on the RL, and didn't like it any better on the GL. And would have preferred 2 triggers. And although the gun was light, one way they made it light was to mill metal out of the receiver. The result is a gun that tends to be barrel heavy, which is not the way a game gun is supposed to balance--although some may prefer it, and for some it will make a relatively light sxs into a better target gun.

I'd pass on both of them.