Originally Posted By: L. Brown
I think what's "good handling" to one shooter does not appeal to another. I ended up buying the GL Ruger sent me for field test. Can't say it was a mistake, in the sense that I didn't lose any money. But it was a mistake as far as a gun I wanted to keep. At that time, I had a pair of Army & Navy 12 bore boxlocks, made by Webley & Scott. Weight was several ounces less than the GL. They were a far cry from a British best, but to me, they handled much better than the GL.

Wonder if Don Amos ever spun a GL on his MOI machine? Would be interesting to know just how closely the gun's handling characteristics approached that of a real British best.

Larry, just out of curiosity -- what would be your percentage estimate of mistake vs. non-mistake gun purchases based on number bought vs. the number you've kept? smile

I've read quite a few of Don's posts about MOI, but don't recall if he identified a narrow MOI range as representing "British best gun" handling characteristics. Guess I'd expect quite a lot of variance reflecting differences in what "good handling" meant for their original buyers. I'd be interested in comparing the RGL's handling measurements to a bunch of "bests".

Don wrote this in a thread a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
I assume you understand stock measurements and would agree that they can't be "summed up" by any one measurement or descriptor. Consider that handling dynamicas are the same in that it takes four measurements to describe any particular gun's handling. Also, consider that, just like stock dimensions, handling dimensions need to be "fitted" to the individual shooter.

And this in another.

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Since many "best work" guns are bespoke, we should assume that the stock dimensions and handling dimensions suited the the bespeaker. We should also assume that the "best work" gunmaker satisfied himself that the bespeaker was properly advised as to his specifications. That is to say, the bespeaker will have a gun which suits him/her personally for the purpose communicated to the maker.

I imagine the RGL's light weight was Bourjaily's main reference point for best gun handling.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 03/10/15 10:49 AM.