Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Ted: Where do you figure the cut-off is for "Not so Best"? I have a late 90s New England Arms lefty Arietta 557 in 12 that has been used fairly hard and even dropped once or twice (by me)! Live and learn. I wish it was an 800 series gun so it could better reflect my now, more-evolved tastes, but it fits me so well.... I could never part with it. I'm guessing retail value these days would be well under $3K.

Lloyd,
You're asking the wrong guy. I couldn't pick out grades of Spanish guns if I had a gun to my head.
I will say this-right after the A and D boxlock came into being, there were English firms that finished them up as "Bests".
I'm guessing that era only lasted 10-20 years. Dig would know. People, both buyers and makers figured out it didn't take that much to get a boxlock out the door, compared to a sidelock, and people weren't going to pay best prices for them.
I doubt the Spanish ever went through that same thing. A boxlock is always a shooter, and a sidelock is a bit more.
The boxlock Falcons, like mine and Keith's, came with features that were specified by American Imports, circa 1972, and those features read like a wish list for someone who doesn't want to concern themselves with what ammunition they use today-3" chamber and proof, well fitted hidden third fastener, in addition to double under bolts, disc set strikers, brazed barrels, and a file cut rib. I got 28" tubes on mine, but, I could have dealt with 26" if I had to. I've heard reports that a brazed barrel is the way to go on a beater you feed hot or hard shot loads, but, I'll leave final analysis of that to the people who sell my R10 and my Uggy, after I am dead. I intend to use the hell out of them, both
There is a juncture, if you will, somewhere between where the chokes have been opened up to make steel usable in it, and my lack of concern because I don't have enough time or opportunity to destroy the Uggy with steel, or, just don't care if I do.
I guess I consider it a shooter for the times.

Best,
Ted