Originally Posted By: Adam Stinson
It is true that there were some Purdey type designs made in Spain by AYA, Ugartechea, Victor Sarasqueta, and maybe others, but they were all built early on and are quite rare (and quite pricey when you can find them). Most build the H&H action because its easier to build.... whether its a better action is another debate.

I think what the book is referring to is more about style... shaping of the action, engraving, and so on. There are MANY more Spanish guns with Purdey style engraving than with H&H style engraving.

The English shooter (Kings Brothers and ASI in particular) really fine tuned the Spanish market to what it is today. They had them build guns the Brits would buy. So to say that Spanish are not copying the English is just insane!

I think with the way things are going with pricing on Spanish guns, its only a matter of time before some goes to Turkey to "fine-tune" their gunmakers just like they did in Spain. There are capable of building the guns... but need a little help on the fine details. When that happens, Turkey will take over the "afforable fine gun" market that Spain has owned for decades. Turkeys is getting close, but they're not quite there.... but it won't be long.

Adam

Adam, it's no use in even talking to this guy. He knows everything and is right about everything. Even when corrected, he won't admit it, because in his world, if you say it's night, he'll say it's day. It's his way or the highway pure and simple. Don't worry he'll have an opinion (all he'll be right of course) on Turk guns, just like English guns. I'm done with this thread, I can't take it anymore!

Best to you Adam

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret