There is a certain attraction to obscurity. I believe for most people that like the 28 gauge there is a transition period that gets them there. A few people might have one for their first gun if they come from a bird hunting family but otherwise the vast majority of us started with either a 12 or 20 as a first and maybe even tenth shotgun. Eventually many people want somethiing different. It could be double guns with unique designs, hammer guns, guns with damascus barrels, smallbores, or something else. Each person will have their own reason. The first few doubles I bought were 20 gauge guns and I could and still can do everything with any of those guns that I can do with my 28 gauge guns. For what I hunt, where I hunt, and how I shoot the opposite is true some of the time. If I could shoot nothing bigger than a 28 gauge and kill birds efficiently and effectively every time I hunt I would never choose anything bigger. I would say the same thing about the .410. I like carrying and shooting the smallest but efficient gun possible.