September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ted Schefelbein), 418 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#403066 05/07/15 08:52 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So I just purchased a Varney Carron helistop 16 gauge, and I put it through some paces yesterday. Maybe the 20th shell I pulled out of the barrel, I didn't take much notice of a little black spot on the primer, a piece of dirt... some unburnt powder.. whatever. Then 20 rounds later, another shell with a blackened primer. So I took a closer look and all I can deduce is that the firing pin is too long and the primer is splitting open allowing some form of "blowback" (im not really sure what to call it). I continued to shoot but when it happened a third time I called it quits. It happened in both barrels, with different shells each time.

Has anyone come across this or have any advice on what to do about it? can I just shorten the pins a few thousandths? or is it something that I shouldn't even worry about?

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not had that happen with a shotgun, but have had it happen with a revolver. The firing pin was too long and was piercing the primers on every shell. I took a file to the firing pin and after each stroke of the file I dry fired the gun on an empty case that still had the fired primer in it. I continued until the firing pin no longer pierced the primer.

That your shotgun only does this intermittently makes me wonder if the problem is the firing pins or something else. If the firing pins are too long, it should pierce the primer every time or almost every tiime.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I disassembled the entire thing yesterday once I got home to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary. Long story short I couldn't diagnose anything that would cause the issue. The only other thing I can come up with is maybe the hammer springs are too stout? again I've never encountered that but maybe the hammers are simply falling too hard?

Last edited by jj hawkins; 05/07/15 09:32 AM.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

how much do the pins protrude the breech face?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I don't have the gun on hand right now but I can measure that up when I get home. They didn't look like they protruded any further than anything else I've seen, but I can get hard numbers for you later today or tomorrow

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Are you using 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2" chambers? Not necssarily the cause, alone, but could contribute.
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike,
That's a negative. I measured up the chambers before I took it out to shoot. The forcing cones look a bit rough (unpolished) compared to the rest of the bore. My guess is the chambers have been reamed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What ammo were you using?
Some with Cheddite primers have been known to spit
The Remington ammo seems to have the hardest primers
Was the ammo new or old?
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I quit using Remington Gun Club shells after several failures to fire were due to a short firing pin in my K-80 according to Remington. The same gun was pierceing primers on another batch of gun Clubs. I was talking to a major reloading dealer from Houston and he said he stopped selling Gun Club for that reason.
Try a different brand of shells, it may help

bill

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mike
Ammo was brand new.
Remington Game Loads - 1oz - 7 1/2 and 6

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.