June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (MattH, Borderbill, Jtplumb, LGF, Hal, 1 invisible), 528 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,723
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, if you are worried about scratching barrels, etc., I don't see how that is avoidable using fiber wads. You'll need htl/steel shot wads designed to keep the shot off the barrel's insides. I load tungsten for turkeys and I use the htl wads from BP and a mylar wrap. Steel or htl shoots tighter than the dickens without buffer. Don't add buffer unless the recipe has been tested for pressure in your load of choice. I'm sure you know this, but you are entering a new ballgame if you haven't loaded htl or steel and there is no lateral transfer between lead recipes and htl/steel.
From what I've read, Nice Shot is the exception to adopting lead recipes. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS Michigan-Out-Of-Doors had an episode last night that made me think of you.

Ken61- I started loading steel w/ Blue dot, then migrated to Steel when it came out. I hand measure everything.
In a 7/8oz Steel load at 1300fps, you should get very low pressures. Worth sending in a test sample. The wad will have room for a wrap, and felt spacers.
I have never used a buffered load. Recovered wads will have pellets embedded in them ocassionally, and will be deeply dimpled.

I've seen much small steel shot in fluid steel barrels w/o incident.

It takes some getting used to because the shock effect is not there, even when the bird is centered. They'll be perforated though.

Out there doing it best I can.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, as you know, the damage to tighter chokes with steel (and even lead) occurs when incompressible large shot, "bridges" and rings (or worse) the restricted area. I have shot small htl for a while and not noted any scratches, etc., after taking the precautions of wrap/htl wads. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but so far, so good. Good to know that mylar alone offers sufficient protection of your guns. The advice often given if one is concerned about potential scratches in a gun's barrel, then don't shoot anything but lead. Gil

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hmmmm.

As pertaining to pattern-welded barrels and roll crimped shells with fiber wads. How about a Pyrodex load, (hopefully ensuring lower pressures) 7/8 oz of #7 steel, buffered for compressibility, encased within a Mylar sleeve to avoid scratches?

I'm aware of the issues of cleaning after Pyrodex, but I'm only talking about a few outing a year, shooting around 100 or fewer total shells.

With the same load, how about a Spreader insert?

Last edited by Ken61; 05/22/15 09:56 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

No No No
Don't mis understand me.
Alliant shows a high speed steel load made with their STEEL powder at 8400 psi. Bring down the speed, bring down recoil and chamber pressure. That's why I suggested sending out for a test load.

I line the heavy plastic wads with the mylar sheets, comes out like confetti. The heavy plastic wads do all the protecting in my view. I believe the mylar keeps pellets from slipping through the slits on set back. The felt spacers take up room in the wad for a nice sealable (clear nail polish) crimp. I seal the primers too.

I've shot Geese up close with a high speed steel load, and don't recommend it for that. Early Teal, Snipe, and rails. Perhaps a gallinule or two.

I load several boxes every year, but I shoot them in fluid steel barrels.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
You need something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483981074

I've been saying for years we were all eventually going to be in the boat you find yourself in today. The older I get, the less it becomes about what I use to shoot, and more about being out there with friends and my son. Save the damascus for the times you can use it as was intended.
The Nitros have plenty of life left in them for what you will do with it. There are other designs, Trojans, Sterlingworth's, Western Arms, and whatnot, pick one that is well used and cheap. Open the chokes if they are tighter than modified, and don't think twice about what brand or type of steel you feed it.

Life is too short to worry about damaging a damascus barrel gun in order to meet some DNR perfunctory with a bad comb over idea's about how you should spend your leisure time.

Best,
Ted

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well,

How about using the same set-up I use with my low-pressure, #6 lead Smokeless loads from the MEC, which run about 6500 psi at 1100fps? substituting #7 steel and including felt spacers and the Mylar wrap? Using the current shot bushing? We're talking fairly close-range shots here.

I'm not very well versed about MEC reloading, my friend does it for me.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Ken,
You need something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483981074

I've been saying for years we were all eventually going to be in the boat you find yourself in today. The older I get, the less it becomes about what I use to shoot, and more about being out there with friends and my son. Save the damascus for the times you can use it as was intended.
The Nitros have plenty of life left in them for what you will do with it. There are other designs, Trojans, Sterlingworth's, Western Arms, and whatnot, pick one that is well used and cheap. Open the chokes if they are tighter than modified, and don't think twice about what brand or type of steel you feed it.

Life is too short to worry about damaging a damascus barrel gun in order to meet some DNR perfunctory with a bad comb over idea's about how you should spend your leisure time.

Best,
Ted

Yeah Ted,,

Just what I need. How about sending me the rest of yours? laugh

But seriously, this topic is interesting to me, finding a steel load light and appropriate for use on small birds in pattern-welded guns.

It may not happen, but it's interesting.

Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 05/22/15 10:34 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only shot you can use (other than lead) that will cause no damage to your barrels, when using only card wads, is bismuth. Every other no-tox out there contains tungsten (other than steel of course). No matter how "soft" the manufacturer claims the shot is, they contain powder tungsten which will be abrasive to all barrels if not protected by thick shot cups.

There is a big difference between how soft a pellet is, i.e. the degree it can be crushed, and it's abrasive qualities. That is a point the various tungsten shot makers leave out of their ads.

If you want to continue to load with the same wads, your only alternative is bismuth. However, if you want to keep costs down, you will have to start using/reloading light loads of steel shot, using new wads, powders..etc.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
It is a 16. If you are cornered into using steel, use a 12. Or a 10. You need all you can get.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.