June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 312 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,623
Posts547,092
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to do it but there's a real potential fly in the ointment in what I think is essentially a good idea.
As soon as someone posts a "Here's how I do it restoration idea" a bunch of others will chime in with contrary information and the thread will become a conglomoration of My-Way,His-Way,There- Way etc.
I expect this will become very confusing to anyone looking for some basic and straight forward information on a topic such as "How to restore the finish on a shotgun stock without stripping it and starting over". I have my own ideas as to how to go about this type of restoration and I'm pretty sure the's a lot of alternative ideas on here as well.
I've seen ideas posted on this forum that I've thought were excellent and others well: Not so much. Who is going to be responsible for sorting this out?
Jim

Last edited by James M; 06/06/15 06:34 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In a DIY forum, there would be the ability to have threads that are much more specific, in regard to materials and techniques. Instead of a generic "Stock Finishing" thread, there's opportunity to break the processes down by materials and techniques used. For instance, individual threads regarding "Tru-Oil", "French Polish", "Linseed Oil", "Traditional English Finish", as well as specific processes used by manufacturers could be created. That way each thread wouldn't become a debate over personal preferences. These threads then would be easily referenced.

Threads can also be clearly differentiated by the specific terms of "Repair", "Refinish" and "Restoration". For example, it would be inappropriate to describe use of Tru-Oil on a Vintage gun as "Restoration", but would certainly qualify as "Refinishing".

In many cases, a non traditional finish on a Vintage gun may be more appropriate. If one has a Parker, and intends to use it quite a bit, making the decision to use a more modern finish may be appropriate. It's certainly arguable that a Tru-Oil finish would be more practical than a traditional shellac and wax one, which would require much more attention to maintain.

Last edited by Ken61; 06/06/15 07:51 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well: IMO It's worth a try. We'll have to wait see what happens.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would love to see something like this. I am not a regular contributor, but I am a constant reader.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno Ken. I'd still suspect you have to let them happen instead of make them happen. We're not likely to get connect the dots on how to build a best gun, but little tidbits can be taken here and there and applied to completely different projects. Every now and then, an experienced smith will pop in with a quick comment that's clearly off the topic direction, but might be an ah ha moment. You may not want to turn that possibility off.

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I dunno Ken. I'd still suspect you have to let them happen instead of make them happen. We're not likely to get connect the dots on how to build a best gun, but little tidbits can be taken here and there and applied to completely different projects. Every now and then, an experienced smith will pop in with a quick comment that's clearly off the topic direction, but might be an ah ha moment. You may not want to turn that possibility off.

Absolutely. I'm not suggesting we create "Holy Writ", just provide a place for an exchange of information in a congenial way. If someone wants to know how things were done at the factory when their gun was made, the information would be available. Then, if the person wants to uses different processes that have been discussed on the board, it's entirely a personal choice.

Last edited by Ken61; 06/07/15 06:32 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try it and see what happens.Bobby

Last edited by bbman3; 06/06/15 09:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's a wonderful idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes please

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes! And I love the idea of consolidating older threads in the new forum.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.