The shotgun arrived yesterday. That Texas gunshop deserves credit for quick shipping, and they sent it in a decent Bob Allen gun case all for $30.

The shotgun is beautiful, has great lines (extraordinarily slender and quick pointing), good bores, no pitting, but there is actually a problem with the fore-end. That rather cool, thumb-release opener at the front end does not actually work. The fore-end will not detach from the action. (See photos 48-50)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485895913

Oddly enough, despite the fore-end refusing to come apart from the action, you can separate the barrels (and even --after a lot of fiddling-- put them back together.

Hammers have got working half cocks. Springs are strong. But everything is extremely stiff, so, beyond the fore-arm's mechanics needing repair, I'd say the locks, triggers, and opening parts really need a good lubrication.

For the quality of the gun and the price, I'm not inclined to complain, but I could use a recommendation of a gunsmith able to work on antique high-end doubles.

-----

A bit more info: A few bits of gold inlay are missing. The large gold thingummy on the underside (photo:32) shows significant wear, but is recognizable as a French baron's heraldic chapeau.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 06/19/15 10:17 AM.