I believe your rifle may have originally been an NRA Sporter. The stock work looks like one of the cheaper modifications done by Griffin & Howe in the 1930's. I have a 1922M1 that has similar features but no Griffin and Howe name on the barrel. I have documentation that my rifle was shipped from Springfield Armory to G & H. Michael Petrov identified my rifle from pictures I sent that it was G & H work. The small filled hole just forward of the butt swivel base suggests that it was an NRA stock but if it came on an NRA Sporter it would have crossbolts. It could have been a stock off a Model of 1922 Springfield. If it has the small mortised out place in the front of the magazine well to allow for insertion of the magazine that pretty much proves that it was a stock for a .22. cal. Regardless of the lack of some of the NRA Sporter Sporter features features I suspect that is what it was. serial no. 1277XXX falls in the midst of a bunch of NRA Sporter serial numbers. A star gauge number on the barrel under the fore end would indicate that it was an NRA Sporter barrel. I apologize for long and rambling post but my guess is that the maker was
Griffin & Howe. If you can obtain a copy of Petrov's Volume 2, look in Chapter 4, Depression Era Sporters.

Last edited by Herschel; 06/22/15 11:51 PM.