September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, NTaxiarchis, 375whelenIMP, Replacement, 3 invisible), 209 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,882
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, well most of the time, I shoot the IC/Mod tubes. That combo works well for me. I will use the IM tube, when the geese are flying and the ducks are getting smarter and just passing by the decoys and not landing. But I always keep that IC choke in, for those that do commit.

Take care!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wahoo;
I really do not have enough evidence of what everyone else does to write much on it. This was just how my Dad taught me to carry a gun afield. It was not to be made ready to fire until time to fire it. To me this meant I would either cock the hammer or take it off safe as it came to shoulder. I have no problem with one hammer as the gun comes up but two is just beyond my ability. While I admire the looks of a hammer gun & have used a few over the years I for the main part gravitated to internal hammer guns. Some of them are very attractive in their own right.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Wahoo Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Greg, I'm sorting out my options for puddle duck this fall, and since I have no experience on that front, listening to what others use will hopefully get me in the ball park.

2-piper, thanks anyways. I like the rule of thumb you shared. I'm thinking it works best with pointers that hold while you come up and get ready for the flush. I imagine if you are walking them up without the dog, you might take a different approach. I might start a thread on this topic of things to think about hunting over dogs one might not normally consider while hunting.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Wahoo, happy to be of help. My other duck gun is a Merkel 147E in 12ga with 3". It's proved to be a good goose gun also.

I also had this one tubed for steel shot by Briley, same tube combo as the Bernadelli. I got the single trigger model for when it gets cold and have to wear gloves. It's hard to cock the hammers on my Bernadelli with gloves and the DT are to close to get my glove hand into. The ST on the Merkel has never failed me, it's been a reliable trigger and gun.

Take care!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wahoo, if you want to get invited back to hunt over a guys dogs, whatever make and model they might be, just respect two rules: 1. Don't 'help' the guy manage his animal. He knows it, you don't. You'll just confuse the dog and upset the handler; and 2. Handle your gun safely, don't shoulder the gun and train it on his dog while waiting for a flush, don't shoot at all if the dog is in the way, don't shoot anywhere near the animal, unload while you and the handler are taking a break; a loaded gun leaning up against a tree with dogs around is going to end badly...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I have never hunted over dogs, but hope to do so this coming season, and after safety first, would like to not come off like a buffoon on my first time out, never to be invited back. Just a thought. Thanks'

My first time over dogs I did very little shooting for most of the day and just observed how the more experienced hunters acted and reacted with their dogs. Just a thought.

Wahoo Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

gjw, not only do you have a sweet collection, you make good use of what you have! Congratulations on your success and having both fine equipment and good hunting!

Geo and trebling, more good advice, I will heed.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the very kind words! I also want to wish you all the luck in the future in your hunting endeavors.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re rookies hunting over dogs: Don't ever, EVER shoot a rabbit over a bird dog. First time I hunted with an old HS friend who didn't have dogs at that time, I gave him that rule. We're hunting with Heidi, my old shorthair. Rabbit comes running out of the brush, Jim raises his gun to shoot. I yell "NO!" about the time Heidi busts out of the brush behind the bunny. Jim eventually owned a couple of my pups. He always made the same "no rabbits!" rule clear to anyone hunting with us who'd never hunted over bird dogs.

Wahoo Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm gonna start a thread on this topic. You guys keep coming up with tidbits I would not have thought of.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.